49 | castles crumbling down

Angela was getting ready in her dorm for the last Hogsmeade weekend of the year. She hadn't wanted to go. In fact, she tried everything she could to get out of it but James was adamant that she would come. 'It's our last trip together.' Leave it to James to pull whatever card he needs to to get what he wants.

She searched for her coat in frustration. She had to have it somewhere but where was the question. She knelt down on the ground and checked under her bed. She didn't find the jacket but she found something she had almost forgotten about.

She reached under, pulling out the object. She flipped the mirror open with a sigh. She traced the edges as though it were the boy himself. "Oh, Reggie..." she muttered, a frown taking over her expression. Her eyes welled up slightly, and the mirror shimmered slightly. After a moment, the boy appeared and Angela practically threw the mirror across the room. "Shit."

"Angela?" Regulus asked, confusion laced in his tone. "Angela, are you there?" His voice was soft, and gentle and so welcoming she wanted to curse herself into oblivion for being so incredibly stupid.

"No," she said in response, her nose wrinkling slightly at yet another stupid choice. She was on a roll recently. She crossed the room to the mirror and she picked it up to see that it had cracked slightly but she could still see the boy. "I didn't mean to call you...it was an accident."

He raised an eyebrow at this, "It's a pretty intentional device, my love. It's kind of hard to accidentally call someone."

She let out a sigh of defeat. He was right. A part of her knew that when she picked up the mirror but she hadn't realized that he would actually answer. The odds of him having it on him were slim. "I'm sorry for bugging you, I have to go."

"Wait," he said hastily. "Don't - don't go yet."

"This isn't a good idea," she shook her head, "I meant what I said."

"I've missed you, Angel," he informed her and she melted at this. "And I heard you, I did. I just...I deserve to say goodbye." She wasn't entirely sure that he deserved anything but she stayed silent so he could speak. "I - I honestly didn't expect to get this far. I have expected you to close the mirror on me."

"That's not a bad idea."

"Can we talk?" he requested and shot him a pointed look. "In person, I mean."

"No," she responded simply, and the hurt on his face was clear. "Whatever you have to say to me can be said here. Otherwise you can forever hold your peace because I won't be alone with you again, Regulus. Not in this lifetime."

"Okay, alright," he said hesitantly. "Look, Angela, I realize that our relationship was never the most typical for our age or any age for that matter...But I think it works for us, you know? And I know that this is more complicated than it should be but I love you. And that is not complicated. In fact, it's the simplest thing I know. Loving you. 'And yet I wish for the thing I have; my bounty is as boundless as the sea, my love is deep; the more I give to thee, the more I have, for both are infinite.'"

She sucked in a breath, "You read my book."

"I did," he replied. "And I get it, I think. Why muggles so attached to this sort of writing. Why you're so attached to this writing. That no matter what everyone else thought, no matter what they world told them to be true, they loved one another. Nothing stood in their way."

"Regulus, this is different," Angela frowned. And if only she had realized it sooner, she would have prevented a great deal of pain for herself and for him too. "Romeo and Juliet didn't have a choice in the rivalry that went on between their families. They weren't in the middle of a magical wizarding war. We are actively participating on opposite sides of a war with very opposing views. And you're right, in some ways. Loving each other is easy. But everything else? Everything else matters. You have to realize that."