35 | mirror, mirror

Angela stared down at the small mirror in her hand. She hadn't used it since before her birthday. She hadn't even touched it since they had been back from break. She had left her trunk packed the whole time, not bothering to unpack when she had gotten back from the hospital.

James and Sirius had offered to do it for her but she refused. There were things in there that she didn't want them to see. She didn't want anyone to see them.

The mirror, a letter and photos.

It wasn't much, but it was also everything. The photos were the few things she had that would prove that she had a relationship with Regulus. Because even she doubted it sometimes.

There were only three.

In one, she had taken it in her bed when he had managed to sneak into her room one time. He had nuzzled his head against her chest and she held onto him. Every photo he protested but ultimately let her have it. After all, she never asked for much.

In another, she had set the camera up across the room on a table in the come and go room. She had to beg for him to actually cooperate for this photo and he could barely do that. She had her arms wrapped around his torso and she was grinning at the camera while he merely held onto her and looked down at her with a faint smile on his face.

The last photo was only of Regulus. She had been snapping photos of him and he had reached out for the camera. He hated photos but the grin on his face would make it seem like otherwise. He hardly ever smiled like that and the fact that she had caught it on film was a miracle.

But the letter.

The letter had been left in her room the night of her birthday and she had never opened it. She hadn't wanted to hear whatever excuse he was going to come up with.

But it was now or never.

Dear Angel,

I know you're probably livid and you have every right to be. If the circumstances were different, maybe things wouldn't have had to end the way they had. I am also aware that you probably want an explanation and that's kind of what this is.

I don't know for certain but I think they've figured us out. It was bound to happen and I'm sure you're thinking it's not a big deal and that we have nothing to worry about but you're wrong. They'd kill you if they ever knew the whole truth. And I can't lose you.

I care about you and I will do anything to protect you. And that's what I'm doing. Even if it means having you hate me for the rest of my life. I'll take that as long as you are safe.

I know you were probably hoping for more but this is all I can give you.

Yours forever,
R.A.B.

He had been right though, and she hated that more than anything. She was indeed screwed if they found out. Because they had. She still wasn't sure how, but they did know.

She tapped the mirror against her palm before deciding. "Regulus," she said clearly, "Regulus."

Angela waited anxiously, her hands gripped the mirror tightly, indenting her palms. She almost lost hope when he slowly appeared. She couldn't help but let out a slight gasp when she saw him. Seeing a picture was very different from this. Even if she wasn't with him in person.

"Have you lost your mind?" he demanded quietly, anger clear in his expression.

"Probably," was all she muttered as she stared at him.

"Angel, you shouldn't have called for me, what if someone else had heard?"

"I don't care," she answered simply, "I just needed to see you. To hear your voice."

He hesitated, "I have to go, if somebody-"

The door to Angela's room opened and she was quick to shove the mirror under her blanket. Sirius raised an eyebrow in both confusion and intrigue, "Who are you talking to?"

"Nobody."

"You're a terrible liar."

"You can't be mad and you have to promise not to say a word," she ordered and he was taken aback by the sudden seriousness in her tone. "Not even to James." He hesitated, "Sirius."

"Fine, alright." She cautiously removed the mirror from under her blanket and was slightly surprised to find that Regulus had stayed though he looked rather stressed. "That's the two way mirror," he said pointedly and she nodded before turning it toward him. He let out a shaky breath, "Regulus."

"Hey, brother," he replied in a quiet voice. "Relax, I have more to worry about then you do right now."

"I-I half expected you to be dead."

He snorted, "Have you picked up a newspaper recently?" He glanced around wherever he was nervously, "Look, I have to go. I'll see you both at school." And then he was gone.

"You weren't supposed to get so close," Sirius reminded her.

"I know," she replied, "And I hadn't meant to...It was out of my control."

"I overheard you and Mia," he explained, "You could have told me."

"You would have been pissed."

"I am pissed," he corrected. "But you still could have told me."

"Well, now you know."

"You guys aren't still..." he trailed off, not sure what to say, "Right?"

"No," she said honestly, "I just...it's complicated."

"You can't get back with him," he scolded, "You can't have anything to do with him."

"I know."

"Do you?" he asked.

"Do you?" she countered.

And with that, the pair fell into silence.