of greetings and farewells¹⁴

OR, instead of getting supplies, you ended up fighting someone over a bag of candies

The Merry is new to the sea, but was built years ago and never used until now, judging by the crack in the woods and creaking floorboards; the universal telltales of an old ship.

You found yourself looking up at the ceiling of the kitchen room with an open book on the table.

You've always like stories-legends, myths, epics, and ballads of the like. Everything you read, hear and see, you've always ended up loving them.

Maybe it was because of Yusa Tō, who consumed stories like it was his oxygen-you swore you found him asleep with a book over his face one too many times to keep count-that made you want to see what he saw in it.

Or it could be because you never knew anything about yourself, be it your birthland or your own name, that pushed you to read stories to make up for the one you lacked.

A coping mechanism, maybe, but it was healthier than most.

You closed your fists, leather gloves sticking to your skin, hiding the gruesome scars away from the people you wanted to trust.

Yes, it was healthier than most.

You shook your head, ridding the thoughts before you delve much deeper into it. You took a deep sigh before propping your head on top of a hand, hunching over the open book.

Your eyes traced the familiar and beautiful handwriting that littered the pages. Anyone could tell from a glance that it wasn't you who wrote it.

And maybe it was the fact that you loved stories that you met Koza through it.

'Wealth, fame, power.

'Gold Roger, the King of the Pirates, attained everything this world has to offer.

'And so, many men head for the Grand Line to find the great treasure he left behind, the One Piece.'

Dawn comes slowly in days such as this-where the seas hum quietly and the tides flow calmly. It was the perfect weather to read as Koza would say.

'From being first uttered on his execution and down to my own-those words had always remained the same.

'It was laughable, really.

'Because Gold Roger is someone who rose from the weakest sea, Loguetown-city of dusk and dawn-and made his own name infamous, turned the world upside down because he wanted to.'

You flip a page, handling each piece of paper with utmost care in contrast to your brash nature of handling things.