princesses, cacti, and boogers¹⁷

OR , you might as well curse Zoro for all eternity

This town was a prickly one.

Haha...get it? Prickly? Because of the cactus everywhere...?

You feel a sigh coming up and the ever so disappointing gaze of whichever god you chose to believe in; and you can't help but hide your snicker with a gloved hand.

The moon, just like the aforementioned gods, looms and gazes over the town the two suspicious menaces with familiar codenames resided in, dotting every surface with a white and blue sheen.

The party thrown for you and the crew was in full swing when you chose to escape through the backdoor, leaving the crew behind to enjoy their time.

It was suspicious, after all. Who in their right would throw a party for pirates? You stretched on top of the building the party was in, the sound of bones cracking lost underneath the chants and cheers.

Oh, well, you'll deal with the problem when it comes up.

As you put your hand back down, it accidentally knocks something down. It makes a clinking sound next to you and rolls away.

Your eyes dart towards it. A brown dirtied glass bottled with rum spilling out of it.

For a split second, it was red.

You blink, and the moon is reflected on it.

...has the day really tired you out so much you remembered such things again?

Your fingers grasp the bottle, hesitating as your grip got tighter. The weight is familiar, and the contents far more so.

You sighed. Any more so, and you'll break the bottle. So you softly set it aside, bearing in mind the fact it was given to you as a gift from the suspicious townspeople. A gift you don't like, but a gift is a gift no matter what.

A door opening echoes into the dead of the night. You straighten, when had it turned silent? Was the party already over? Davy, you were so deep in your mind you didn't notice.

The silence made way for hushed whispers to be heard clearly. Crickets buzzing in the background. You picked at the chipping cement under your hands.

"...but was it really necessary to put on an elaborate act for just six weak-looking brats?"

The corners of your lips pull up. And so, they finally show their true colors. Honestly, just who did they think they were fooling? Idiots, for sure.

...Idiots who just happen to be your crewmates.

Throwing yourself into the cactus seems to be looking like a good idea right about now.

"We should've beat them at the harbor. This town is already short on food. Also, we didn't have our hopes up for the whale meat anyway."