monke⁴

OR, this time, you will leave something behind

It was Luffy's.

The Straw Hat found itself in your gloved hands and not on the head of its owner.

Hours ago, in the middle of a storm and a whirlpool. Luffy had frantically pushed you inside a barrel that had his hat falling off, more concerned for the safety of his first crewmate than the treasure that now sits on your hands. He barely even glanced at it before pushing the barrel overboard.

Idiot, you thought, but your chest was warmer than it had ever been for the past ten years.

You spot a few more signs of wear as you turned it around, coming to the conclusion that it was at the very least older than a couple of decades.

And for a simple-looking straw hat, it was quite an achievement with its standard straws, mediocre weaving, and thin fading fabric. You're more surprised at the fact that it was still in one shape.

At the back of your mind, you wondered if Luffy would be able to introduce you to the previous owners, so you could bully them about the places this hat had been.

You slipped the hat around your neck by its string. It fits snuggly against the leather sack bag on your back, and the bells tied to your escrima sticks jingles melodically as you start walking.

Finding Luffy was the top priority.

But for now, though, you have to find out where you just barrel-wrecked on, as opposed to being ship-wrecked.

- ❐ -

The island is beautiful - cut perfectly in half by a stone brick wall that separates the townsfolk and the forest to each to their own side.

Shui Island is what they call it, and right in the middle of its town, among the street vendors and colorful market,

"I'm telling you, this stuff is way too expensive!"

was you, bullying a poor defenseless vendor.

You held up your hands to let the vendor see your gloves, which had been torn apart and cut in several places, by who or what-you don't remember, and frankly you didn't care.

The vendor's eyes widen once he sees past your gloves, scarred skin exposed to the world.

A year ago, you would have cared and been more careful about not letting others see your hands, but now? Now?

Oh boy, a lot has changed.

You have Luffy to thank for that.

"See this?! This was a thousand and fifty belis in New World, and they've survived more than half the world's storms," You slam your hands down against the counter, glaring at the vendor straight in his eyes, "and they're cheaper than yours."