26: Fade Away

With Nanami left behind, I ran to the tree line. My heart pounded in perfect rhythm with my racing stride.

I couldn't control my incoherent and anxious thoughts as they continued to consume me.

I slowed as I began to approach the clearing Nanami referenced. I knew these woods like the back of my hand. I could find my way through them in the dark if i needed to.

Fuck. My eyes fell upon Suguru kneeling in the ground, being threatened with a sword at his neck by a familiar figure.

She held my fucking Guardian sword to his neck. The audacity.

I crept up behind the woman, creating an ice dagger and putting it to her throat, "Drop the sword, Aiko."

She smirked, "You've always been so skillful. And with that damn heavenly restriction, it's like you appear out of thin air."

"Y/n?" Suguru looked up at me with wild, confused eyes.

"It's ok," I reassured him. "I can handle her. Easily."

Aiko scoffed, "So that's how it is? You're really choosing these sorcerers?"

"I said drop the fucking sword."

"Your parents would be so disappointed."

I pushed the dagger further into her skin, causing a small drop of blood to trickle down her neck, "Don't push me."

I felt her body tremble slightly at my words, and she quickly did as I said. In seconds I snatched sword and repositioned myself between her and Suguru, pointing the blade at her.

"What are you doing here?" I glared. If she had my sword, then she must have been in Baba's house, and she must be the one who injured Nanami.

"Y/n, who is this?" Suguru's voice put me on high alert, and my instincts took over.

I really wanted to trust him, but if anything were to happen, I didn't want to give him an advantage. With his technique, he'd be a challenge for me to keep up with.

I'd be lucky not to get killed honestly. For someone as strong as he is, I also wouldn't be able to cancel his cursed energy for the entire duration of our fight.

My mind was swirling with attack plans as I jumped back, moving myself so I could see them both.

"Stay where you're at Suguru," I demanded.

He became stern and forceful as he stared me down, his own instincts kicking in. He most likely wasn't used to being held captivate on his knees either.

"So this is the boyfriend that caused you to turn your back on us?" Aiko snarled.

"I didn't turn my back on you."

"Of course you did!" she yelled back. "You've been ignoring our outreach! You haven't followed any of the protocol and plans once you got captured!"

She wasn't wrong. I saw the plans for Relocation 7 and didn't do shit.

I chose Suguru, and seeing that the protectors always seem to be watching me, they probably knew that.

I nervously glanced over at Suguru, noticing his eyes get softer as she yelled at me. I didn't really want him to know how much I had abandoned the protectors since meeting him.

He may have been saying a lot of nice things over the last 12 hours, but this man changes his mind more than anyone I've ever fucking known.

"Is that true?" he asked me as our eyes met.