3 | YOU'RE PRETTY!

― "𝐇𝐞𝐲 𝕬𝖓𝖌𝖊𝖑." ―

i ran my fingers through my hair in frustration. i sat on the bed in my room as i thought back about what had happened in the last hour. something about it just felt weird.

after some rest, i finally took the liberty to scan my new room. the decor was cute, slightly different from liyue, i must say. there was a balcony in the room, allowing me to hear the bustling marketplace outside. it was similar to where i stayed the last time i was here.

soft sunlight peeked through the plait curtains, making me move my hand to cover the harsh rays on my eyes. amber, who i found out was the knights' outrider had been the one to show me to the dorms and mentioned she will be back anytime to tour me around mondstadt.

as i waited, i chose to walk over to the small balcony, enjoying the soft scent of flowers that lingered around the city. my eyes fluttered close, enjoying the breeze that softly touched them. my tranquil time was broken with a loud scream.

"watch out!"

"wha-"

before i could even process anything, i found myself groaning at the sharp pain along my side. i rubbed it, trying to soothe the pain as much as possible. a soft groan emitted from beside me, making me turn in annoyance.

"what the fuck? who the hell are you?"

i met his eyes, eyebrows raising at how attractive he was. with dark blue eyes with a twinkling glint, soft lips that shined under the light and long wavy hair that matched his eyes, he was a looker. he laughed awkwardly before collecting his wind glider before swiftly running into the direction of the open.

"wait!" i barely managed to yell out before he gave me a salute, dropping back down to the streets below. just before my view of him disappeared, he winked teasingly.

"you're pretty!"

my face contorted into disgust, feeling baffled at the situation. some random guy flew into my balcony, crashed into me, making me fall on my side and cause the throbbing pain that is still lingering, and instead of apologizing, he calls me pretty? also, he just jumped out of my balcony, backwards at that, like a scuba diver.

my eyelids twitched and my hands ball into fists. what on earth is wrong with that guy? i exhaled, trying to calm myself down. it's okay. it's okay. it's okay. don't let such a small thing ruin your mood. it's okay.

"ysabelle! are you ready?"

amber's voice resonated through my door, eliciting a 'yes!' from me. i quickly gathered my bag and ran to my mirror. slapping my own cheeks, i rubbed my face, trying to loosen the tight muscles. "be friendly! it's a new environment. you don't want to get on anyone's bad side."

the annoyance still lingered, but i tried my hardest to push it to the back of my mind. i probably won't see him much. hell, i'll probably forget it by tomorrow! yeah! control your anger.

giving myself a little pep talk, i plastered a large grin on my face before opening the door to face amber, who smiled back. "before we start the tour, i'll have to bring you to the office. there, you will meet the acting grand master and the captain."

i nodded, feeling a sense of nervousness wash over me. sure, they may have been the ones who needed a knight, i offered, but i wouldn't want this opportunity to get taken away either. i have to make a good first impression.

"how do you like your room?"

"it's really nice! i am starting to warm up to the environment."

amber chuckled, "i'm glad to hear it. i decorated it myself after finding out you were coming. my room is two doors down from yours, so if you ever need me, don't hesitate to knock on my door. were you lucky to get a room with a balcony?"

at the mention of it, i felt my lips turn in distaste as my hip was still throbbing. i forced a laugh, "yeah! i had a...nice experience with it."

amber clasped her hands together, seemingly not noticing my switch in behaviour. "i'm glad! oh! right here is the main hall. this door is klee's probation room, she's a cute little troublemaker, you'll meet her soon! here is jean's office. everyone must be waiting, come on!"

i nodded at the guard at the front of the door in acknowledgement, who gave me a warm smile and a salute. as we entered, i gasped at the extensive number of books that lined along the shelves of the office. a beautiful woman, who was holding a book in hand, gasped loudly upon seeing me.

"hi jean! the honorary knight is here."

jean, who had been previously kneeling behind her desk stood up and dusted off her pants. her eyes lit up and she walked over to me with confident steps. from the first look, i could see she was one not to be messed with. she held an authoritative aura, yet a circle of gentleness and warmth which you can't help but feel comfort in. her small ponytail swung as she approached me, shaking my hand.

"ysabelle, right? i'm jean, the acting grand master of mondstadt. i have heard so many great things about you, it is my pleasure to have you with us. this is lisa, our librarian."

lisa, who sported a large hat gave me a playful wink as well as a wave. "hello, darling."

jean continued, "i hope your trip here went smoothly? i have to apologize for the change of your escort. the usual suddenly fell sick so i asked for a favour from an old friend. "

i nodded. "it was very well, thank you. mondstadt is such a beautiful city."

she chuckled. "i couldn't agree more. you are incredibly talented. you will definitely get used to the ropes quickly."

i nodded. "my father was also a knight. he taught me most of what i know."

"he must be a very skilled one then, to be able to have a child with as impressive statistics as you. perhaps i may know him, may i know his name?"

"robin."

at the sound of his name, both jean and lisa gasped. i wasn't surprised, there were always the same reactions whenever i mentioned his name.

"robin chrysalis! he's quite legendary here. his name gets brought up many times in adoration. nobody can forget someone who defeated stormterror after all."

i felt proud, smiling and nodding along. i loved hearing people adore my father. he was always humble, often belittling his own achievements.

"nobody has heard of him when he permanently moved to liyue. i hope he is doing well?"

i bit my lip, knowing what was about to happen. "ah, well. he actually passed away recently. he didn't want it to be spreading like some sort of wild news, so many have kept quiet about it."

as i talked, jean, amber and lisa's eyes turned to those filled with pity and they nodded. as much as i disliked the change in mood that always seemed to pile, i couldn't help but smile in reassurance, waving my hands. "it's okay! there's no need to feel pity. i don't wish to receive them either. i'd rather be more proud of everything he did while he was alive, rather than mope about his leave."

they all nodded in understanding and i felt content with their warm gazes. jean looked up at the clock, a small click of the tongue leaving her mouth. "i told him to be here on time."

i looked at her in confusion. is there someone i still have to meet?

as if speaking of the devil, the door behind me opened and brisk steps resonated from behind.

lisa leaned on the top of the bannister, her eyebrows raising. "you're late, kaeya."

a soft chortle released, along with a lighthearted apology. "sorry jean, i had to make a pit stop back from liyue." i turned to meet eyes with the man who had just walked in. upon our eyes meeting, two very different reactions occurred.

"my, my. is this the legendary new recruit? pleasure to meet your acquaintance."

"you."