4 | IT'S 'CAPTAIN'.

― "𝐘𝐨𝐮 𝐰𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐛𝐞 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐮𝐧𝐝𝐞𝐫 𝕮𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖆𝖎𝖓 𝕶𝖆𝖊𝖞𝖆." ―

"do you two know each other?" amber looked between the two of us confusedly.

kaeya laughed, his melodic chuckle made my ears tingle, "just had a little accident."

"a little?"

"just a little."

"you literally crashed into my room through the window!"

amber touched my shoulder, "oh, so that's what you were talking about."

lisa gasped, "kaeya! you move too fast."

he shrugged. "i suspect a little troublemaker played with the reins of my wind glider, making it lose control, it isn't particularly my fault."

"yes it is, and you didn't even apologize."

he only hummed in reply, shrugging.

jean sighed, ignoring the harsh daggers i was throwing at him with my eyes. this guy was really pushing all my buttons. his teasing voice, lined with a tone that would make your knees go weak and his confident smile was absolutely swoon-worthy. goddamnit, why does he have to be so attractive, and an asshole?

"ysabelle, this is our cavalry captain, kaeya alberich. for the first month, you will shadow him as a subordinate. as talented as you are, there are multiple procedures under the knights of favonius that aren't known by a common person. kaeya, i trust, would teach you everything you need to know."

i felt my jaw drop. i already hate the guy, and now he's my superior? kaeya, to my surprise, didn't look particularly pleased either but when a wicked smirk lined his face, i gritted my teeth in annoyance.

"of course, i am a great teacher."

i folded my arms. i'm trying to keep it professional, but this man is making it extremely hard. i turned to jean, giving a nod and smile in understanding.

"thank you for this opportunity, acting grand master."

"no, no. please, call me jean. you came just in time, there's a celebratory festival of the 10th-anniversary defeat of stormterror. kaeya will report your duties to you tomorrow. now, go enjoy the rest of the day."

i felt my heart warm at her polite and kind words. nodding, i glanced towards amber, who looked very anticipated to leave. lisa wrapped an arm around my shoulder and poked my cheek softly, "have fun!"

as we exited the office, amber grabbed my hand, bouncing slightly in place. "i can't wait for you to see the events!"

i grinned, feeling a sense of familiarity in her as i did in letian. that reminds me, i should send her a letter tonight to tell her i have reached safely. knowing my best friend, she would be unable to sleep without an update from me.

i miss her already.

"uh-ah, this little new recruit here needs to make a trip to my office before going out and having fun. forms need to be filled out. sorry, amber, we'll meet you at the tavern." before i could even retort, kaeya gave me a stern look, as if warning me that i shouldn't say no.

i sighed. i was still here to work as a knight after all. i should listen to what he says. amber gave me a soft tap on the shoulder in reassurance when she saw my conflicted look, "of course. i'll see you out there!"

as she left, i murmured profanities in my head, feeling the anger build inside me. while i had followed behind him, he picked up his pace, enjoying the sound of my hastened footsteps that just couldn't seem to keep up with his long legs. i swear to god.

soon, we reached another door, one that was similar to jean's. i looked backwards. this is quite a secluded area unlike the other which was in the open near the entrance.

"this is my office. you will be spending a lot of your time here." he emphasised the words, a laugh eliciting from him when i frowned. i can't believe i'll have to work closely with this guy for a month. i would probably have wrinkles and my hair torn out by then.

i wasn't sure what i was expecting, but his office was surprisingly clean and organized. multiple books were stacked neatly along the bookshelves and there were various paintings hung on the walls, complementing the atmosphere. his desk was a slightly different story, papers were scattered across the surface and an ink bottle had even been tipped over.

kaeya continued over to his desk and picked up a small stack of paper. he sat on the edge, one hand leaning back to support his own weight and pointed to the right of where i was standing with the stack in his hand.

"that is your desk."

i nearly groaned out loud. even my deskspace was in his office? this is even worse than hell.

"now, now. don't look so displeased. you might even hurt my feelings."

he continued, sitting down on his seat. "feel free to add as much of your personal things as you like, whatever that will make you comfortable. for starters, i will do sword training with you every morning. 8 am, on the dot. i do not tolerate tardiness."

i nodded in response.

"we will then go to the library for an hour each day, that's to teach you the rules and guidelines of how we work. i am a busy man with many errands to run, so you will help me with that. next, i often go on longer expeditions, ones that require a whole day at most. you will join me. it will help you to familiarise yourself with the areas around. are we clear?"

i guess he could be serious after all. he spoke with eloquence and a hint of authoritativeness, immediately i nodded.

"any questions?"

i shook my head. he hummed in satisfaction, continuing to flip the paper in his hands. something that i was wondering about for a while hit me and so i raised my voice to ask him.

"oh! kaeya-"

all of a sudden he stood up from the desk, making me stop in the middle of my sentence. as he took a step closer, i cursed at the feeling of my desk on the back of my thighs, stopping me from moving back any further. his hot breath fanned dangerously close to my face.

too close. too close!

"i see you are still unsure of your place, little miss new recruit. it's captain kaeya."

he reached for the paper behind me, returning to stand straight up, placing the paper in my hands. "fill this out. then we will be good to go."