9 | DARL+ING

― "𝐟𝐢𝐫𝐬𝐭 𝐢 𝐝𝐢𝐝𝐧'𝐭 𝐠𝐞𝐭 𝐢𝐭, 𝐧𝐨𝐰 𝐢 𝐮𝐧𝐝𝐞𝐫𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐧𝐝" ―

the first two weeks in mondstadt went by in a breeze. my routine on the daily was more or less the same, training in the morning, studying in the afternoon and then heading out to clear some camps.

also, making sure there were no danger in close proximity to the city, of course.

amber also brought me along on some of her expeditions, showing me some spots that are not usually visited.

i've also become closely acquainted with klee, the adorable little girl, who eats lunch with me at good hunter.

with that, i was surprised i have yet to pull my hair out from frustration after being with kaeya for so long.

i could finally take a breather today, for the captain had some private business elsewhere. he would be gone for the day.

i sparred with huffman this morning, a member of the knights of favonius i had met recently. now, lisa and jean explain the origins of starfell valley, with the addition of bickering back and forth every now and then.

lisa huffed. "you should really take a rest. how long has it been?" she reached over to place her hand over the page jean was reading.

jean sighed, shaking her head. "i'm fine, lisa. there is still much to do."

the librarian only rolled her eyes in response, "come on, jean. the competition is still months away. let's go for a walk outside hm? ysabelle, would you like to come?"

lisa was already pulling on jean's arm, not allowing time for her to respond. i shook my head, finding their hidden adoration for each other cute.

"i'll stay to read abit more and clean up. enjoy your walk, you two."

jean looked adamant but ended up giving into lisa's strong pull anyway. the two disappeared shortly after.

the golden light of the setting sun filtered through the window, casting a warm glow across the rows of books on the shelf. the books seemed to bask in the radiant light, their spines glowing with a rich and vibrant hue.

the air was filled with a soft, hazy warmth, as the light filtered through the dusty air, creating an ethereal atmosphere.

the pages of the books glowed in the sunlight, as if each word was a gemstone, sparkling and shimmering in the light.

i flipped to the next page. the book i was reading today involved ancient sorcery.

the language was similar to my father's books when i was younger, hence i thought this might give me a clue.

my finger traced over the sketch on the page. what looked like a star had six points, the one pointing south longer than the rest.

a blurred memory rushed into my head.

the child huddled in a corner of the dark room, tears streaming down their face, as the sounds of fighting echoed through the walls. outside, the father and mother were engaged in a fierce battle, their voices raised in anger and fear.

the child could hear the crashing of furniture, the thud of blows, and the snarling of the monster, as it sought to overwhelm their parents.

they were afraid for their parents, but also for themselves, as the sound of the monster's roars sent shivers down their spine.

as they cried, the child felt helpless and alone, unable to do anything to stop the fighting or protect their family. they wanted to be brave, to help their parents, but they were just a child, and the monster was too strong.