7 | CAUSE BABY YOU'RE A FIIIIIIIIREEWORKKKKKK

― 𝐦𝐲 𝐟𝐚𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐮𝐬𝐞𝐝 𝐭𝐨 𝐬𝐚𝐲 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐦𝐨𝐨𝐧 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐬𝐨𝐦𝐞 𝐬𝐨𝐫𝐭 𝐨𝐟 𝖙𝖗𝖊𝖆𝖘𝖚𝖗𝖊 𝖈𝖍𝖊𝖘𝖙. 𝐩𝐞𝐨𝐩𝐥𝐞 𝐰𝐨𝐮𝐥𝐝 𝐭𝐞𝐥𝐥 𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐢𝐫 𝐬𝐞𝐜𝐫𝐞𝐭𝐬, 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐬𝐡𝐞'𝐝 𝐥𝐨𝐜𝐤 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐦 𝐮𝐩. 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐚𝐟𝐞𝐬𝐭 𝐩𝐥𝐚𝐜𝐞 𝐢𝐧 𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐞𝐲𝐯𝐚𝐭. ―

"i swear to the archons, if you do not get your hand off mine right now, i will cut off your fingers and feed it to pigeons."

immediately, kaeya removed his hand, clutching it close to his chest. he looked horrified. "my fingers are valuable."

the air was thick with the scent of alcohol and sweat. the noise was deafening, as people talked and laughed and glasses clinked together. surely enough, one too many glasses of dandelion wine easily made my once clear head turn fuzzy. another had joined us, an acquaintance of kaeya.

the bard strummed his instrument and chatted loudly. although he joined us late, he seemed to be a particularly huge fan of the nation's most famous wine. pink hues quickly decorated his face and he excused himself late into the night.

kaeya waved him off, already looking out of it. "what's your favorite colour?"

i looked at him confused. what kind of small talk is this? not feeling bothered to have a snarky conversation, i replied. "purple."

"did you know purple is the colour of royalty? i like your earring."

i laughed at the quick change of topics. he was clearly more drunk than i was. i felt grateful to the bard who stole my drinks. i would save myself some embarrassment tonight.

at his look, i touched my right ear, feeling the sharp edges of the gem on my fingertips. "it was a gift from my father. he had it handcrafted from one of his trips overseas." he sipped his water and nodded at my response, "it's purple. the same as your eyes."

"where did your smart mouth go? perhaps i should sneak some alcohol to you whenever you piss me off."

"if you mention it again, i'll start to think you miss this smart mouth of mine."

i called the bartender, asking for the bill. "you're insufferable."

"miss, the bill has been taken care of."

the two of us looked at him confused. "by who?"

"me. the tavern is closing. it's time to leave." i felt a presence behind me and so i turned around, looking up to catch the crimson eyes i met with earlier today.

"diluc? it's alright. let me pay."

he waved me off. "do not worry about it. you are our guest. it's the most i can do after the suffering you must've faced with this lad all night."

kaeya placed his chin on the palm of his hand. "my, my, diluc. do not taint my image in front of the new recruit."

diluc crossed his arms, "judging from her expression, i believe there would be no need for me to taint what is already tainted."

i laughed, nodding in agreement.

kaeya crossed his arms, playfully looking angrily to the side. "don't gang up on me, you two. i did not even know you were acquainted with each other."

"he was my escort. from liyue."

diluc nodded, grabbing the empty glasses off our table, "jean asked me for a favour. pierre was sick."