Chapter 2: Overture

(Art by me)

-Six years ago-

It was a normal night on Mobius, the sun down and the crickets chirping. Arnec and Fayn were in their home, doing what they liked best. Arnec was reading by himself in the training room, while Fayn was practicing his swordfighting, his sword glowing bright red as it swung around the large room. Both were 11 year old Wolves. Arnec was an Artic one, with bright white fur and dark gray hair. His eyes were teal. Fayn meanwhile was a timber wolf, having brown fur and matching hair. His eyes matched his father's, being a rich blue. He slashed one of the training dummies, his blade slicing it clean in two. His blade resembled a knight's sword, except the hand guard had dragon claws and a red gem resided right in the center of the guard. "Phobos still cuts like when I first got her!" He said to himself. "...Guess what uncle said was true... Demonic weapons can't wear! Well... That makes this interesting!"
Arnec rolled his eyes "Did he just now catch on to that? We've had our swords for a year now" he sighed to himself. He then wadded up a piece of paper that was next to him and threw it at Fayn, hitting him in the back of the head. Fayn spun around, his sword drawn, growling. Arnec jumped up and pulled out his own sword, a katana with a blue handle and gold on the guard and little bits of the handle. "Come on! Deimos needs some blood on her blade!" Arnec yelled before the two brothers charged. Before they could strike each other, they heard their mother shout at them
"Enough, both of you!"
"But mom-" Arnec started as his mother walked up to the both of them. She interrupted and growled
"No, just because your father is gone does NOT mean that you get to act that way!" she yelled. Arnec then pointed at Fayn
"He started it!"
Their mother growled before taking off one of her sandals "Do think I'm blind, child!?" she yelled, holding the sandal up. Fayn smirked while Arnec trembled. While their father was a powerful man, their mother was the one who kept him in check! Fayn sighed "While pretty boy here bickers, I'll be in my room!" he said before putting the Phobos on his back, the blade nearly reaching the floor. He walked out of the room and disappeared. Lucetta sighed "Arnec, you're the older brother. You have to set an example for him!"
"Kinda hard to, when he's so boneheaded-"
"Arnec..." Lucetta said, crossing her arms and giving him that look. Arnec looked down in defeat "I'll clean my room..." he groaned. Lucetta sighed "Cleaning your room won't fix your attitude towards him."
"It'll make you happy." Arnec said, smiling. Lucetta smiled back before hugging her son "Listen, I appreciate that and everything, but you'll miss your brother when he's gone. Just Like he'll miss you."
"Doubt it." Arnec mumbled. Lucetta sighed "Perhaps when you two are older, then you will understand." she said before leading Arnec out of the training room. They walked by a storage closet, a strange feeling in the air... Both looked at each other...
(Vergil battle 3 - Devil May Cry 3 OST)

Arnec then heard the loud boom, then the scurrying. His mother shoved him into the closet "Arnec, stay here... I have to find Fayn! If I don't come back, just know I'll always love you, and I'll always be with you... I have to go find him!" Lucetta said as she rubbed her hand across his amulet, sliding her hands down and holding his. She let go and gave him one last look...
"Wait, mom!" Arnec yelled before the door shut. He looked through a crack in the door and saw his mother run into the next room. He then heard the scream... "Mom!" he yelled before bashing the door, it doing little. He roared before doing it again, busting through and landing on his side. He could smell the burning wood of his home and was in disbelief. He then saw what looked like a hunched over beetle, with large claws. He also could see a hand in the doorway, his mother's... His emotions flared and he howled like a true wolf. The demon roared, it's mandibles spreading. Arnec's hands shook as he drew his sword from its scabbard. The demon lunged, screeching. Arnec swung the sword, striking the demon's neck. It sliced effortlessly, the demon falling. "I gotta find Fayn!" he said to himself as he sheathed the sword. He then heard a familiar voice "Arnec, I'm in need of assistance!" it wasn't Fayn, but Lucifer, their adoptive uncle and one of the seven demon lords of the demon realm. Arnec rushed into the living room and saw the old demon lord. He looked like a black knight, ebony armor covering his hands, shoulders, feet and he had on a helmet that hid his face. Although his body was made of shadow, two red wings on his back, connected by two pieces of metallic bone that hooked back towards his body. He had glowing red streaks on his armor, that would glow as he hit a demon. Arnec pulled out the Deimos and got to work, helping take out as many of the little demons as they could. After they were all gone, Arnec looked up at the dark knight "Lucifer, I've got to find Fayn!"
"I'll help you." Lucifer said before disappearing. Arnec felt something and saw the boots, gauntlets and shoulder plates of Lucifer on him. "If only father was here..."
"You got me." Lucifer said quietly. Arnec smiled "Well, let's go find him!" he said before heading into the hall leading to the front door. There were Demons all throughout. Arnec growled as he clenched his fist, Lucifer glowing. The first ran up and Arnec punched it, knocking it down. Another came and he roundhouse kicked it. Two appeared and a pair of blades came from Lucifer, glowing red. He shoved his hands forwards as the Demons reached him, impaling both. After dealing with the rest he looked at the staircase leading upstairs, to where Fayn's room was. He heard glass shatter and a thud, but before he could get up the stairs, a flaming piece of wood fell and blocked his path. "Fayn!" Arnec shouted. He heard more of the upstairs collapsing and sniffled "He's gone." he said to himself. He looked down and punched the floor, grabbing his fist in pain. He rushed out of the house and was finally outside. He looked behind himself and saw his house collapse in flames. His legs were weak and he fell onto his knees "Lucifer?"
"Yes, child?"
"Are... mom and dad finally back together?"
"Let's just go..." Lucifer said quietly. Arnec nodded, sniffling. He then began walking... It was a long walk through the woods before he saw lights. He broke through the treeline and saw a village on top of a hill. He also saw a sign, and read it "Spiral Hill Village" he smiled a little before walking into the village. He walked by a museum and could hear two girls giggling inside "Happy birthday Tangle!" he heard one shout. Arnec smiled before walking through the village. He heard Lucifer "Do these people usually celebrate their birthdays at nearly midnight?"
"I... I don't know..." Arnec said quietly. He walked to the edge of the village and saw an abandoned house. He stumbled through the doorway before falling forward and puking. He breathed heavily before Lucifer reappeared, sighing "I'm not your daddy, so you're gonna clean that up little man."
"I got a lot of things to clean up..."
"What do you mean, child?"
"Tygrys... He sent them... I know it..."
"I know your uncle is insane and everything, but... Actually... Hopefully he thinks your dead too now. Get some sleep."
Arnec nodded before puking again. Lucifer groaned "I really hope nobody owns this place, because I doubt they'll like the smell of your vomit!" He quietly yelled before walking through the house. Arnec sat down, tears down his cheeks "I'm sorry mom... I couldn't save you... I wasn't... Strong enough..." he said quietly to himself. He looked down and pulled a small amulet from his chest fluff. It was silver, with a jewel resembling an eagle. It was blue, which caused Arnec to raise an eyebrow "It's supposed to be clear... What the...?" he said before falling weakly onto his side. Lucifer walked in, his metallic boots clanking as he walked across the wood floor. While his smile wasn't visible, he was as he scooped Arnec up and lead him upstairs. There was an old bed, and Lucifer gently laid him on it. He sat down by the bed and groaned before pulling out a talisman "Asmoedus, can you hear me? Mammon, leviathan, anyone?"
He only got silence. Then he heard one voice... Asmoedus. She spoke in a low tone "Luce... You there?"
"I'm here Dus... Where are you?"
"Sol dimension... Laying low. How bout' you? Is Szakala's family okay?"
"Lucetta and Fayn are gone... Arnec's okay, but... I dunno if he'll recover."
"Have you gotten ahold of Levi? I got to talk to Belphi for half a second before he had to go. Never thought the day would come, the seven demon lords ousted from their own home... Glad you're okay..."
"You're the only one I've been able to get ahold of so far..."
"I hope we see each other again. I have to go though, princess nearly heard me. Goodbye, Lucifer."
"Talk to you later." Lucifer said before clenching the talisman, Asmoedus' voice disappearing. Arnec shuffled and groaned, like he was having a nightmare. Lucifer turned his head and rubbed his taloned hand across Arnec's shoulder, calming him. He then gave Arnec one last look before falling asleep himself, sitting up...