Chapter 5: New Threats, New Plans

Dr Starline and Mimic walked through the dark halls of the desolate palace. Mimic looked at Starline "I thought you said he was here?"
"He's here, I know it."
"What's his name even!?"
"Grendel is what he told me to call him."
They heard footsteps behind them and saw a shadowy figure. He looked like a wolf made of shadows and smoke, with glowing red eyes. The figure looked at them "Do you have them?" he asked. Starline pulled out a briefcase and opened it, the Sol Emeralds all inside. "Good... I have not seen Kervanos back yet. What was the last you heard?"
"That Artic Wolf, Blaze and Tangle killed him I'm afraid." Starline said, trying to sound polite. Grendel growled and grabbed his shoulders, getting in his face "You do realize what you just did!?"
"What's so bad about losing that fool?"
"That fool had the blade of the demon knight Szakala! Does he have it??"
"I... Don't know." Starline admitted, looking at Mimic. Grendel growled "Pray that he does not!"
"And so what if he does?" Mimic asked, smirking. Grendel growled even more "I do not recall asking for your input. Unless a painful death is what you want, shut your beak." Grendel said, his glowing red orbs for eyes showing nothing but hatred.
"So, when we getting our reward for this?" Dr Starline asked. Grendel didn't change emotions "We can discuss your reward once you're done. I've yet to see the Chaos Emeralds and the Master Emerald. My plan cannot be put into motion without them..." Grendal said as he stood perfectly still. Dr Starline rubbed his gloved hand across his beak "Sonic is going to be a problem. He thinks he's untouchable."
Grendel made a haunting grin "The more a thing is perfect, the more it feels pleasure and pain..." he said quietly. "...As soon as you are able to crack his shell, he will experience fear. Fear induces mistakes. That's when you sink your teeth in, like a predator to prey." Grendel said before walking away. Starline and Mimic started to make their way out of the palacd "So, you gonna be like Eggman's little pet again? I know you like it." Mimic asked, narrowing his eyes. Starline growled as he looked at the Warp topaz "Like I told them, I'm a whole different game from him. He means nothing to me now! The younger me may have been a fan, but I learned that he is nothing. I gain nothing by being his Ally. But I suppose I could steal one last thing of his..." Starline said before they walked out of the palace...

-The next day-

Arnec and Tangle were in the museum, Jewel having to go to the store for some stuff while Whisper was napping. "Hey Arnec?" Tangle asked, looking at the wolf. He had his coat and scarf off, his dark gray chest fluff poking through the top of his waistcoat like Tangle's. Arnec looked at her "Huh?"
"You mentioned half angel. What's that all about? You get like a glowing ring around your head?"
"Honestly, I dunno much about angels. My mother was one, didn't know it until she saved my father."
Tangle raised an eyebrow as she looked at him, her eyelashes fluttering "Wait, your mom saved your dad? Ain't your dad like a powerful demon or somethin?" She asked, smiling a little. Arnec blushed "Yeaaaah, Not his proudest moment. It was when he first got to Mobius. The person who opened the portal decided to open it in a canyon and he broke one of his wings on the cliff face so he couldn't just fly up. My mum found him passed out and in bad shape."
And she didn't freak the heck out?"
"Mother just thought that Mobius got a new species or something I guess. Or maybe she saw him in pain and decided to help. I dunno, she never told me. Whatever it was, less than a year later me and Fayn were born." Arnec responded quietly. They heard something outside and rushed out, Arnec tossing his coat on. Metal Sonic was there, causing trouble. Tangle quickly rushed at Metal Sonic, Arnec yelling for her to stop. It was too late though as Tangle went for a punch, narrowly missing as the machine shot back violently. She felt a sharp pain in her arm before feeling something on her arm, like a fluid. Not water, something thicker... "Tangle!" Arnec yelled. Tangle's vision went in and out before she collapsed and went unconscious... She woke up to the sound of scissors snipping and looked over to see Arnec bandaging up her arm. He shook his head "Almost wasn't able to get her out..." he said quietly as he cut another piece of gauze. Tangle watched as he was gentle with her arm, making sure not to cause more blood to leak out. He put his hand over her wound and it slowly healed just a tiny bit. He sighed "It skipped a generation I guess..." he said to himself. "This is why you don't freaking-!" Arnec began before stopping as he noticed her awake and looking at him. He blushed and got back to work. "Arnec?"
"H-huh?"
"What happened?"
"After you got knocked out I pretty much lost it and beat the daylights out of Metal Sonic. Glad you're alive..."
"Whisp okay?"
"Yeah. And Jewel. Metal Sonic targeted me and I was all he got."
"What do you mean?"
Arnec blushed before getting up, taking his waistcoat off. On the side of his stomach was a claw mark, the red of a fresh cut still there...