Act 3: Chapter 12: A Surprise Turn

Arnec and Tangle walked out of the camp and into the forest. Tangle pulled something out of the pouch on her side handing it to Arnec. He looked at it, a small piece of what felt like plastic with what looked like a button.
"It's a tracker. Try and put it in a cranny in yer mouth so next time we... Have some fun... You won't taste plastic."
"You have one?"
"Yeah, Whisper gave Jewel one earlier and I got one too."
Arnec stuck it in his mouth and it stuck to his inner cheek. After about 20 minutes of walking they reached the tomb. It was a small temple, hardly the size of a house. Arnec walked in, only seeing blackness inside. Tangle went to go in but smacked into something. It was like there was an invisible wall. "Arnec, we got a problem!" She said, Arnec spinning around in a flash and running up to her. "Lucifer, what is this!?"
"You think I know everything kid!? Hugin and Munin were before my time!"
"It's some kind of force field! But it let me through!"
"Guess it's the demon blood. We've got to move though!"
Arnec sighed as he looked at Tangle. "I... can't...!" Arnec attempted to grab her hands, the force field blocking him. They looked at each other, worry in both of their eyes. "I'll be back, I promise!" Arnec yelled. Tangle nodded "I'll keep the door covered, go do whatever you gotta do!" She said as she pulled back. Arnec nodded and slowly turned, looking into the darkness... He walked forward, entering the tomb. "You alright?" Lucifer asked. Arnec shook his head but continued on. His eyes glowed in the dark as his devil vision kicked in, the tomb being cramped as he had to get on all fours to get through some partially collapsed corridors. Finally though he reached a large cavern and in the middle was a sword. It was a greatsword with a long and thin ebony blade. It's handguard was made of two raven heads that faced opposing directions. Arnec thought to himself... Twin ravens... A sword with two ravens... This must be them! Arnec went to grab the sword but suddenly his head had a sharp pain, like someone was jamming needles into his skull. He collapsed onto the ground as images flashed. It was too quick to tell what exactly it was, the only thing he could recognize was Tangle, some wings, and Tygrys. He then went unconscious...

-some time later-

Arnec's eyes slowly opened his eyes, cold and damp air creeping into his nose as he tried to regain his sight. He was in a cell, his hands bound to the wall. He saw Dr Starline just outside the cell, his hands shaky as he waited. Mimic was there too, across the room alone. Then from the stairway in front of him came some kind of demon he'd never seen before. It looked like a Mobian wolf, surrounded in purple and red hellfire. Each step released a short burst of flames onto the floor. His eyes red and his mouth too, permanently open as if he had a hunger that could never be fed. "Grendel, I got Arnec. I'm still working on how to get the Chaos Emeralds." Starline said, Grendel not saying a word. He looked at Arnec, his silence more frightening than any words. Then he pulled something from his side. Arnec didn't recognize it until he saw the familiar blue scabbard of the Deimos. He also wasn't wearing his jacket, likely stolen from him too. His own sword, his coat, and his freedom, stolen from him. Grendel then let out a small chuckle "The son of Szakala, finally I get to see you." Grendel said quielty, Mimic rolling his eyes. Grendel then growled as he noticed several bruises on Arnec's face. He looked at Starline "I believe I said, DON'T HURT HIM. Is that not what I said?" Grendel asked calmy, Starline nodding. Grendel pulled away, clasping his hands together "Then why does he have several bruises on his face and body? Oh well, he's here..." Grendel said before pulling the Deimos back out. He stabbed Starline, his void of a mouth curling into a sadistic smile "Our deal is over. You've expended your use to me." he said before ripping the blade out of him. Before Mimic could even move Grendel looked at him before spinning and twirling the blade, it piercing Mimic too. He twisted the blade and yanked it out, sheathing the sword and walking out. Arnec looked at his chained wrists and growled as he pulled on them, doing little. Starline coughed as he held his stomach, Mimic not moving at all. Arnec sighed, shaking his head. Suddenly he heard ravens cawing and two flew in through a window behind him. One looked around the room while the other landed on his arm. The ravens were unique in the fact that they had shiny golden eyes, their wings having a gold lighting pattern on the inside. The one on his arm shoved it's beak into one of the locks, prying it open. They swapped positions and the other raven got his other hand free. He rubbed his wrists as he walked by Starline, checking on Mimic. "Mimic's dead." he said before walking up to Starline. "You okay?" he asked. Starline shook his head. Arnec smirked before putting his hand on the platypus' stomach, using his healing power on him. Starline looked up at him in shock "Why... Would you help me?"
"Because I don't like to see people suffer. Even if you did kidnap me. You and Mimic close?" he asked. Starline smirked as he pushed his glasses up "Not close per se, more so business partners. Met him when I worked for Eggman. You already knew I did that though, don't you?"
"Yeah, called you Eggman Jr when we first met?" Arnec said, smirking.
"I remember." Starline said tiredly. Arnec groaned as he sat down beside of him "What made you turn villainous? You lose your parents too?"
"No... I wanted to study demonology, learn how to wield your kind's power. When I first discovered the warp topaz I was confounded by the immense power it contained. Eggman was kind of an inspiration for me. I saw what he could do with his machines and wanted to do something similar. Eggman wasn't what I thought he was, and after being his lackey for a bit I needed out."
"You wanted to control your own destiny. I can relate."
"Maybe it's not as grand as that, but... I just get controlled by everyone I meet."
"Maybe it's time to change your ways."
"And be a hero!? Preposterous!"
"Never said you had to be a hero. The world isn't black and white like that." Arnec said, Tangle entering his head. "Wait, did you do anything to Tangle!?" he then asked.
"No, I didn't even know she was there." Starline said, noticing Arnec tension. He then pulled out a small journal "Could I take some notes? I just want to know more about nephilium."
The term caught Arnec off guard but he knew what it meant. He smiled a little, never having been asked about before "Well, anything in specific?"
"Have you ever been sick?"
"No."
"Any foods you don't like?"
"Keep pineapple away from pizza. Anything else I don't mind I guess."
"Odd but okay. You mentioned Tangle. I'll assume you two are in a relationship."
"Well... Yeah..."
"That begs the question if nephilium can have children... Have you and her-"
"Woah, don't you dare even try and finish that!" Arnec yelled as he puffed up, growling as his fangs extended. Starline tensed up but calmed down before adjusting his glasses
"Of course... My apologies." he said before writing down some more notes. "Well you don't have to apologize." Arnec said, shrugging. Starline smirked before writing more down. Suddenly the sun shone through a window, red light cascading over them. Arnec thought of Tangle, hoping that she was okay. Meanwhile back at the Silent Shadow's camp, Tangle was with Whisper. She paced around the tent, shaking. Suddenly her ears perked up
"Hold on, you feel that?" she asked. Whisper shook her head. Tangle thought to herself for a second before realizing what it was. It was Arnec... She could feel him. She couldn't tell where he was but she knew he was alive. Whisper looked at her "He did turn on the tracker right?"
"I think so."
"Did you tell him?"
"No." Tangle responded, giving herself a face palm. Whisper groaned
"Tangle, how's he supposed to know how it works!? Maybe he's still alive..."
"He is." Tangle responded, crossing her arms. Whisper smirked "And how do you know that!?" She asked. Tangle shrugged
"I can feel it..."
Whisper tilted her head "Oh, you can feel it can you?? Can you feel where he is!?" she asked, resting her head on her hand. Tangle shrugged "No." she said quietly before looking out into the wasteland "Arnec... I know you can't hear me, but... Please tell me you turned on that darn tracker..." she whispered. Arnec suddenly felt an urge. He slid one of his fingers into his mouth, finding the tracker as his thumb was on his cheek before pressing it. Starline looked puzzled at him "What was that about?"
"I don't know. I just... Felt like I needed to do that." Arnec responded. It was a quiet few minutes before Starline looked over at him "I don't know much about Tangle, but I'm curious as to why you are attached to her. Surely being part angel you could-"
"As far as I know every angel is dead, my mother was the last one."
"Oh, Grendel never told me anything about your realm's history. So, what made you attracted to her?"
Arnec smiled shyly, his cheeks turning pink "It's... A lot. Okay, imagine the world as black and white for a moment. Everything's boring and the same. And then suddenly, you see a color... It excites you, gets you out of that boring world even just for a moment. Your cheeks get red and your heart starts beating faster and faster, then you feel a feeling you've never felt before... That's Tangle to me. She was my only connection to my humanity when my mother and my brother died."
"You had a brother?" Starline asked. Arnec nodded slowly, sighing
"Yeah, his name was Fayn. Means light in our language. Arnec means shadow. Fayn was meant to be the son who would be better, hence his name being light. He had the blue eyes, brown fur, and his hair matched his fur. Meanwhile I was basically a reject in comparison. I look like my mom, aqua green eyes, white fur, black hair..."
Starline looked over at him "You really are black and white..."
"Yeah... Tangle's the best thing to ever happen to me. The way she gets excited, pretty much ain't afraid of anything, and knowing how to have fun... It's exhilarating, I felt like the piece of me that had been missing for years was finally found! Without her, I'd be emotionless, an animal..." Arnec said, holding his hand above his chest where his amulet used to be. Back at the camp, Tangle smiled as she thought about him, knowing he was thinking of her... Whisper raised an eyebrow "Tangle, your boyfriend is possibly dying right now and you're smiling... Is there something you're not telling me!?" Whisper asked. Tangle chuckled
"No Whisp, I'm smiling because-"
Whisper stopped her mid sentence "His tracker is finally working!" she yelled. Tangle nearly tripped as she ran up to her "Where is he!?"
"Some fortress. I don't know this place that much so I don't know the name." Whisper said, data pad out. Lucifer appeared, having made his way back with Asmodeus, and looked at the map "He's in the Fortezza... I'll talk to Nero." he said before walking away. Tangle sat down by Whisper "You know, I like crazy and everything, but this? It's been less than a week and look at what's happened. Random wolf shows up and beats Mimic up for us, has apparently been in love with me for several years, is half demon and half angel, and now we're in a realm we hadn't even HEARD of, fighting to save possibly the entire universe! How did we end up here!?"
Whisper shrugged "Old saying that Slinger told me was, the only easy day was yesterday. Who knows what will happen in the future." Whisper said, adjusting her Wispon MKII some more. Tangle sighed, twisting her foot in the dirt so she'd have something to do. Asmodeus appeared beside of her, one her wings going around Tangle. Tangle smirked "Thanks, even if you do watch me and Arn making out..." she said, Asmodeus chuckling. "Just want to make sure he's treating you right. He's like his father, loving but is about as good at showing it as a brick sometimes." Asmodeus said, rolling her eyes. Tangle looked over at her and noticed that her feathers on her head were long and pointed, and her beak was longer like a canine's muzzle.
"I thought you were supposed to be an owl...?" Tangle asked. Whisper looked over "She looks like a Hedgehog to me!"
Asmodeus smiled "What can I say? Love can take many forms!" she said before laying back. Tangle sighed, rolling over and laying on her stomach with her head on her hands. Meanwhile at the tent serving as a mess hall, Sonic was with Beezlebub who had scarfed down his 8th steak and wasn't nearly full. Sonic tapped his finger against the table, bored as he waited for the mission to go green. Beezlebub looked over at him "I can be of use to you, you know that?"
"How? By eating all the chili dogs before me!?" Sonic asked with smirk.
"No- I mean yes I can do that, but rather... In combat..."
"Really now?" Sonic asked, looking over at him. Beelzebub nodded before disappearing into green ashes and a sword appeared on Sonic's back. It's blade was split into two, almost resembling the twin prongs of a barbecue fork. Sonic raised one of his eyebrows "And what kind of power do you have?"
"The more I feed, the more power we gain together." Beelzebub said before going back into his demon form. Sonic looked away for a moment, Beel stealing some of his food off of his plate. Sonic looked back "Hey, where'd all my food go!? Did you...!? Ah, come on!" Sonic groaned, Beel laughing a little. Nero and Whisper walked beside of each other "You have his location?"
"Some fortress. Maybe you can tell what or where it is."
Nero looked at the data pad before shaking his head "The Fortezza..." Nero said quietly. He then walked up to Leviathan "We have Arnec's location. The Fortezza. We can strike now and possibly compete two missions at once."
"The Fortezza, where Tygrys is!? Nero, we don't have a large enough army for that! We'll all get killed! We have one ship, he's got over 20 including a battle cruiser!" Leviathan shouted. Whisper smirked "Here's an idea. What if we steal the battle cruiser and use it as a distraction while a strike team infiltrates the fortress? That Corvette is nimble enough I think to outmaneuver them." she said as he looked at the map. Several Silent Shadows walked around them, wanting to hear what was going on. Within seconds most of the Mobians were there too. Nero crossed his arms "That... Is unorthodox, but I like it. Get everyone on board the Rotor Drache. We'll begin the strike immediately!" Nero said, the Demons each looking at their commander. Nero nodded and they all loaded up into the Corvette. Sonic looked at Amy as they stood next to each other in one of the ship's halls. "Well Ames. Been a crazy week hasn't it?" he asked. Amy smile as she put her fists on her hips, swaying them a little.
"Yeah, it really has. I thought Eggman was a big threat and there was all this, just out of sight... What if Arnec hadn't arrived, and this Tygrys guy just wiped us all out?" She asked. Sonic shook his head "I wouldn't let that happen. You know that." he said, smiling at her. Amy smirked "Sonic, you can't stop everything... I love you, but I don't think you could beat this guy alone."
"Never said I could. And who said I'd do it alone?" he asked, raising his eyebrows.
"You mean that as a "Me and you~" sort of way or a "me and the boys!" sort of way?" Amy asked. Sonic smiled embarrassingly "Uhh... Well... Why not both? I know you can fight!"
"Dang right I can!" Amy said with a smile as she pulled her hammer out and poked him with it. Shadow looked at Rouge, them being just out of sight
"Ugh, happiness." Shadow mumbled
"You brood more than a hen. You know that right?" Rouge asked. Shadow did a half smirk half smile "I was being sarcastic, you know that right?" he asked, Rouge hitting his shoulder. Shadow snickered as Omega was examining one of the Silent Shadow's weapons. It looked like a sniper rifle, carved from bone. At one point it was a beautiful metallic silver, but the rust hid that now. Omega then scanned it, adding a new weapon to his arsenal. Rouge turned and smiled "Omega's gotten himself a new toy..." she said as she walked up to him. Omega turned slightly "Flechette rifle added... Please try not to stand in the way, dismemberment may occur." he said, the rifle's barrel extending before the weapon turned back into a hand...