Chapter 10: Homecoming

Arnec and Tangle exited the portal, everyone looking at them. Sonic walked up to them "Tangle, we were wondering where you were!" he said, his eyes showing worry. Tangle looked at Arnec and they nodded before Arnec spoke "Alright, we're all here. This place..." he looked up at the sky. "...There's an old town a good distance from here. Using it, we can have a safe place to stay. Everyone, follow me." he said before he started walking, ash crunching beneath his feet. Ash fell from the sky like snow, everyone looking at all the scenery. Long abandoned buildings and cracked roads. Back when Arnec escaped, he didn't have time to take in the scenery. He also was in the woods, not even near here, so that didn't help much. Arnec tried to hide his emotions, Tangle noticing right away. "Arnec... You okay?" she asked. He shook his head "Billions dead... Because of someone I share blood with... I find Tygrys, I will do what is necessary. You... Might not want to watch when it happens." he said as he looked at her, his eyes being more aqua green than usual as he just tried to focus on her eyes. Purple, his favorite color... Tangle grabbed his hand held it tightly "Arnec... You're not alone in this. We're in this together, it'll okay..." she said, trying to comfort him. Arnec didn't feel any better though "No... He's family, and I want to kill him... I just want to stab him, once for father, once for mother, once for Fayn... And..." before he could finish he got sidetracked by Tangle's eyes again. She smiled as she looked at his. Even though they were bright aqua green, she could see the clouded mind behind them. Dark, like a storm. The conflict, the trauma, the grief, all had built inside of him, and he just couldn't break through. He needed her... She knew that. But then it finally clicked why he needed her. She remembered when he talked about Lucifer not being much of a parent, and it got her gears turning. He never properly had anyone to help him with his emotions. Lucifer was a demon, he was cold. His mother, the only person he was really close to, wasn't a demon. So all those years, he felt like he was alone. He never properly healed from losing it all, because Lucifer couldn't understand. But Tangle could... Helping Whisper with her own past had given her some experience and she let go of his hand before reaching it around him, her opposite hand in his. Arnec seemed surprised but didn't protest, accepting it as their heads rubbed together, their tails swishing happily. Tangle's swished anyway, Arnec's wagged. Sonic noticed and made his way to Whisper. "Eyy, did I... Miss something?" he asked, Whisper shrugging in response "From the way they've acted, I think they've only been together a day."
"And... You're okay with them dating?"
"She's happy, and she's the closest thing to a squad member I got, so as long as she's happy I'm fine... Plus, me and Arnec took Mimic down together." she said before looking at Silver, him being distracted by all the ruins. It reminded him of the bad future he was in, with Iblis and everything. Sonic smirked before shrugging "Just didn't know if you found it odd. Since she's your best friend and-" Whisper quickly cut him off "Sonic, I'm not into her like that. She's my best friend, leave it there. Silver gives me what I need... And more." she said as she looked at Silver, who had been in a daze. He blushed as he snapped to and saw her looking at him. Sonic sighed "Sorry..." he said, looking at the wolf. Silver looked over at Whisper, her smiling and not saying a word. "It's okay Sonic, at times I've wondered about the "tension" between you and Shadow... Arnec's got a lot more patience for her than I do, which is a good thing for her. She needs someone who can put up with that. I cannot unfortunately for her. Plus I lost my squad, he lost his family, Tangle and him getting together is a best of both worlds situation. She gets someone who can tolerate her antics, and he gets a new family. When Metal Sonic attacked Spiral Hill, Tangle had done her usual run headfirst into the fire and well... Her shoulder still has the claw mark and stitches. Arnec lost his cool and destroyed Metal Sonic because it felt like history was going to repeat itself and the one person he'd managed to get attached to was going to be lost. He's scarred by his past, as am I. When you lose people that you care about, you can't just recover from it like it's nothing. I still remember the Diamond Cutters like the family they were to me. It's difficult to move on, even if I know that's what they'd want. Arnec's the same. He just wants to move on, but he feels like he can't. Tangle's helping him with that and they both probably don't even realize it. Arnec keeps her from doing something too insane, while she makes sure he enjoys living his life. While I at first had my doubts about him, I realized what all he'd been through, and how someone like Tangle would be perfect for him. They're polar opposites, he's quiet and thoughtful about every move he does in a fight. Tangle is loud and just throws some punches, that's who she is. But that's why I think they got together so quick. Sometimes being the same doesn't make a healthy relationship. That's why me and Silv are together..." she said, Silver innocently looking at everything like the pure Hedgehog he is. Sonic blushed "I didn't think you'd be giving me dating advice."
"Just stuff I've learned over the years. You live and learn, and eventually you find a certain someone and get to open your heart. Feels good when you finally find that someone. Silver is my someone." she said as the ivory Hedgehog finally realized what they were talking about. Silver hid behind her and Sonic made his way back to Amy, who was by Shadow "You haven't met Arnec, have you?" he asked her. Amy shook her head "No, but I've heard some things. Him being a half demon and stuff. Actually, I did see him after you saved me and the others." Amy said, smirking. Sonic shrugged "According to him he is. Uhh, him and Tangle apparently are together too." Sonic said, still confused at how quickly the two made the commitment. Amy's face almost glowed with excitement "Wait, they're actually a thing!?" She quietly yelled. Sonic chuckled "Yeah, don't see them holding hands?" he asked. Amy looked up at the front of the group and saw the wolf and lemur holding hands. She still had a big smile as she looked at Sonic
"Whisper is okay with them being together right? I mean, being her best friend and all..."
"I already talked to her about that. Yeah, she's okay with it. Also from what Whisper had told me, Tangle had went headfirst into a fight against Metal Sonic. Apparently she got knocked out and a scar on her shoulder, Arnec taking down Metal Sonic with a vengeance. Whisper trusts him with her, and told me why, so I do too. But you seen him in a fight!? That sword of his..." Sonic said, smiling as he looked at Arnec, who was leading the group with a straight face. Amy leaned a bit into Shadow, Shadow smiling a little but quickly hiding it. He looked at Sonic before pulling out a Chaos Emerald
"Here, take one. Just in case." he said before tossing it to him. Sonic smiled a little "Thanks, never know when you'll need Chaos Control." he said as he put it away. Shadow smirked "You even know how to use it?" he asked, to which Sonic simply smiled "Yeah, learned a thing or two from you a long time ago." he said before separating from them and going over to Tails. Tails looked around at the realm, observing everything and making notes over it. He had a small pouch on his side with a notebook in it. "Sonic, this place... It's insane! There's Dark Chaos energy everywhere!"
"That a bad thing?"
"Not exactly. It's just... Confusing."
"I get you there... This entire thing has me confused... All the things I've been through, all the times I've stopped Eggman and his schemes... I keep getting these memories, like of another life. I remember doing them, but at the same time I don't..."
"Hmm... Maybe my multiverse theory was correct... Just need more evidence. I'm just gonna..." Tails said before picking up some rocks and putting them into his bag. Sonic smirked a little "So... What do you think of this place?" he asked. Tails looked around before sighing "I feel like it's changed. It looks almost inhospitable. How anyone could have lived here, I have no idea! The red sky I can deal with, but with the whole planet cracked like a walnut!? I'll have to ask Arnec about what it was like..." he said as he pulled his notebook out, jotting down some more notes about how the air felt as he breathed it in, making note of the humidity and how it almost had a certain tang to it. Arnec had overheard their conversation, and had flashes of the demon realm before it all went down. The sky was always a dark red, almost like they were inside of a ruby, but the ground wasn't cracked, everywhere didn't look like a wasteland... He sighed before looking at Tangle, who was looking around at the blown out buildings from a war she had never seen. His hand gripped hers tightly, Tangle's cheeks getting pink in response as she gripped tighter too. They then let go, their hands aching from their iron grips. Both blushed as they glanced at each other. Tangle got her arm back around him like she did earlier and Arnec smiled a little as he looked at her, the two smiling even more as Tangle rested her head on his shoulder. A few hours later and they reached a town, a large cathedral hovering over like a tower. "What's that?" Tangle asked, her head getting off of his shoulder. Arnec smirked "The cathedral of the old gods... There were four, if I remember right... Solaris, Typhonus, Dark Gaia, and Artemis..." Sonic stepped by him, eyebrow raised "Dark Gaia... I've... Why does...?" suddenly he saw flashes, of what looked like his own memories. Him and a flying chihuahua... It took him a second to remember the little guy's name as Chip. He then remembered his werehog form. "Dark Gaia, I defeated him a long time ago!" he yelled, to which everyone, especially Arnec, looked shocked. Arnec looked at him with a smile "You've taken down both Solaris and Dark Gaia!? That's... Incredible!" "Well I had Silver and Shadow help with Solaris..." Sonic admitted, smiling. "And yet, Solaris is to return..." Shadow said as he stepped forward. Arnec sighed "If we fail here, yes..." he said with a disheartened face. While he did think they would succeed, there was still doubt. Meanwhile, Lucifer and Asmodeus spoke to each other "You feel that too, don't you?" he asked. Asmodeus' voice was filled with confusion.
"Mammon." they said together. "Hey kid, uncle Mammon is nearby we think."
"Wait, really!?"
Sonic perked his ears up "What's going on? Something up?"
"We have the location of another demon lord! Lucifer, what way!?" he yelled frantically. Lucifer appeared and went into his demon form, everyone in shock. "Been seven years since I've been able to walk again, in my own realm..." he said as he looked around, his wings flowing like angel wings. Fitting, since Lucifer was a former angel. While his helmet hid his face, if he even had one, Arnec knew he had the biggest smile. Asmodeus spoke to Tangle "We're going too?" She asked, to which Tangle shrugged "He's going so I should too."
"Well here then, a little gift from me..." Asmodeus replied before Tangle had that pink glow again. Asmodeus appeared on her back and she did a dash, just like Arnec's. It wasn't nearly as quick and had a short charge up, but could be useful a pinch. Everyone was now looking at her with the same face they gave Lucifer. Tails pulled out a small computer looking device and two antennas popped out, scanning the area. "These readings... Like this entire planet is one giant Chaos Emerald! But it's... Corrupt, darkened," he then walked up to Arnec, scanning him. "And you're body is one big conduit. The part demon stuff is true," he said as he looked at the wolf. Arnec smirked, to which Tails rubbed the back of his head nervously "I just needed to make sure!"
"It's fine. Anything else?"
Tails ran the scanner over him again, changing what it was scanning for... "Your blood is mostly Mobian, partly demon, and.... Something else."
"Angel?"
"I... Can't tell. It's something I've never even remotely seen before! You... Wouldn't mind if I took a blood sample from you, would you?"
"Sure, we've got some time, once this business is over you can do what you need with it."
Tails turned and pulled a syringe from his bag, gently inserting it into Arnec's arm. Arnec flinched a little, fangs extending as his blood was drawn. Tails put the syringe away after putting the cap on it and pulled the scanner back out, going over his sword. "Your sword... It's like a Chaos Emerald!" Tails said, giving the katana a look over. Arnec smiled "My father did use this to help separate Mobius from the demon realm. Mobius' power is mainly Chaos energy. Just like the Sol Dimension is Sol energy. So it's no wonder why the Deimos has Chaos energy. If the Phobos is ever recovered, no doubt it has Sol energy. Is that all you need?"
"I guess...?" Tails said, too confused for any more questions. Arnec looked at Lucifer "Alright, lead the way I guess?"
"Let's go." Lucifer said before him and Arnec began to leave. Tangle tagged along, Asmodeus and Whisper following. It wasn't too far a walk, them still being inside the town. It was a fairly large one, and almost looked like it was out of a 50's TV show with it's retro futuristic architecture. There was an old diner, it's neon signs long dead. An old motel, bus depot, and an old warehouse. But it was around a post office where the energy was at it's peak. The decided to split up to cover more ground, Arnec searching the main building. He entered, his demon blood allowing him to have a sort of night vision. He heard a voice singing, male. It was low and calm, like the person was just trying to keep themselves company. "In the field so green and so free, seeds gaze up... The clouds keep them from the light, and the sky cries white tears of snow..." he recognized the lyrics, it was a song that his mother sang to him when he was little. The voice was familiar, but he couldn't put his finger on who it was. The voice continued as Arnec searched the rooms "...But still, the fragile seeds wait long for the sun to shine... Dark winter away, come spring..." the voice continued. There was one door left, the one where the voice was coming from. "...My young seeds once again will look up to the sky, And I know they will grow strong..." the voice finished, sighing. Arnec opened the door just enough to see inside, seeing the familiar lord of greed. Mammon was a wolf, just like Arnec. But he wasn't a Mobian one, looking like an anthro but not quite like a Mobian. He opened the door completely, stepping in front of Mammon. Mammon's faded yellow-orange eyes slowly got their color back. "Hey kiddo... Long time no see, eh?" Mammon said tiredly, his mouth curving into a smile. Arnec smiled too "Uncle Mammon, you're alive?? What about any of the others!?" he asked, kneeling by him. "We... Tried to escape, didn't... End well." Mammon said as he laid there. Lucifer sighed as he walked in "It's great to see you again... We thought for sure you were dead." he said, to which the devil wolf smiled "Takes more than an insane person with a small army to take me out... All of my stuff is gone though, which really irks me. You know how much time it took to make that collection!? All the hunts for those animal hides... Tygrys can bet his rear end I'm coming for him, soon as I can..." he grumbled a little in pain "...There's a wolf outside, I need her..." he said, groaning. Arnec looked out the door "Whisper, need you in here!" he yelled, the biscotti wolf entering. "What do you need?" Whisper asked. Mammon smiled before disappearing, a Demonic crossbow appearing in Whisper's hands. She looked down at it, it being ebony with gold engravings. It also had a pump on the bottom along with a magazine. "A pump action magazine fed crossbow? Heh, I can work with that..." she said to herself. Mammon chuckled "Like what you see, do you? Just know, any kills you get are mine too!" he said, chuckling. Whisper smirked "Which sin are you again?" She asked. "Greed, the best indulgence..." Mammon said jokingly. Whisper smiled as she racked it, a satisfing crunch coming from the pump. Whisper looked at him "Thanks. You just sling bits of iron, or is there something special hidden?"
"Grapple, explosive, electric... You name it, I probably got it... Well, I know I got it... Don't be too rough with me though~" Mammon said, Whisper somehow feeling his smirk. Arnec smiled "You know were any others in specific are?"
"Beelzebub is around here... Somewhere... Probably eating some rotten food. Damn guy's like a fly..." Mammon said before leading them to an abandoned restaurant. As they got closer, the three demon lords felt Beelzebub's energy. They heard something on the roof, like a bird, before something landed on it. "Do my eyes deceive my mind?" they heard a frail and ravely voice say. They all looked up and saw what looked almost like a mobian Vulture. His eyes were a rich orange as he looked at the three Mobians. He instantly recognized Arnec, pouncing done into the ground in front of him "The first born of Szakala lives..." he said as he approached him, him towering over the wolf like the other demon lords did, sans Asmodeus. Beelzebub's head bent down with his neck lowering as he looked at them "Got any food?" he asked as his head tilted. Arnec smiled "I think somebody might back at the camp." he said, smiling as he looked at the demon of hunger. Beezlebub smiled "Lead the way... I'll watch the skies." he said before spreading his wings, flapping them and lifting off. Arnec lead the way back to the cathedral, Sonic approaching him "Hey, can we talk for a moment?"
"Sure, just... Get Beezlebub some food. I told him y'all had some and..."
"Who?"
Arnec didn't even have to say anything as Beezlebub swept down like a hawk, landing right by him. His wings folded back like a large trench coat and he smirked "You have any food?" he asked. Sonic looked over at a camp fire that some of the Restoration members had set up inside "One of them guys I know brought some. Just make sure to save some for the rest of us." he said before starting or walk behind a wall. Arnec turned to Tangle "Go get some rest while you can, I'll be there soon, okay?" he said as he kissed her cheek. Tangle smiled before kissing him back "Don't take too long though, alright?" She said before she walked into the cathedral with Whisper by her side. Arnec walked up to Sonic "What's going on?"
"When you said we were invading the demon realm, I thought there'd be a lot more fighting..."
"Me too. I'm just as surprised as you. And I want to end this just as much as you." Arnec said, putting his arm on Sonic's shoulder. "It's someone with my blood that is to blame. Luckily, Eggman will not be a problem for now."
"Wait, you didn't-"
"No, he's still alive. In fact not a speck of blood was shed between us. But... A lot of things happened... Things... Only Tangle needs to know about for now. I will see this fight finished. Rather it be by my hand, yours, Tangle's, whoevers... If Tygrys combines the Realms he will kill us all! He won't show mercy, he never has... He's a monster... And hell, I probably am too. But Sonic, I just want you to know that I won't forget this. Once this is done, I'll help you with Eggman. That sound okay? I mean you're already here, you might as well finish it..." Arnec said as he looked at him. Sonic nodded and Arnec smiled "Get some rest. You'll need it we may have just gotten lucky today." Arnec said before they headed back. Tangle had found a room in the cathedral that nobody had claimed yet and had a sleeping bag on the floor. Arnec walked in and smiled as he heard Asmodeus in his head "Little trick I got for ya... I think she'll like it~" she said before telling him what to do. Arnec's grin grew, his footsteps silent as he snuck behind Tangle. He wrapped his arms around her waist and took her to the ground, nibbling on the side of her neck as she giggled "Hey! What are you doing Pretty Boy!?" She yelled, smiling. Arnec chuckled as he got on top, his hands by her head. Both looked at each other, their ears moving and tilting as they both smiled. "What's up Snuggle Muffin?" Arnec asked. Tangle grinned "Oh, got your own little name for me now?"
"You got one for me, might as well return the favor..." he said as he looked at her, giving her a quick kiss. Tangle smiled "Alright Pretty Boy, you're crushing me, so how about I lay on top of you!?" She asked. Arnec smiled before rolling over, accidentally bonking his head on a wall. "Oww..." he let out embarrassingly. Tangle snickered as her eyelashes fluttered. Arnec smiled shyly, his hair spreading as the back of his head touched the floor. Tangle shimmied her way up onto him, her rear end plopped right on his lap. Arnec tilted his head, his eyes nearly glowing. He then grinned before sticking his tounge out. Tangle did the same, trying not to laugh. Apparently Arnec had something else in mind as he leaned forward, their tounges touching. Tangle blushed before smiling, mouth still open, and shoving him down. Before Arnec knew it, Tangle had already made her move, her tounge going in his mouth. He blushed as Tangle was the one in control and he had no clue what he was doing. Asmodeus, as creepy as it sounded and was, tried her best to tell him how to do things as he went, Tangle noticing and a little muffled moan coming from her as Arnec sat up. His hands moved around her neck as she did the same to him. The French kiss continued for a hot minute but then they finally had to breath, both separating and gasping for air as they laughed a little. Tangle smiled a little as she rested her head on his chest, him stroking his hand across her back and scratching it. Tangle purred quietly, her hair getting in her face "How's your Claw mark? You can heal that can't ya?" She said, smirking. Arnec shrugged before unbuttoning his waist coat and taking it off, his stomach still having the three Claw marks. He tossed his waistcoat aside, Tangle tilting her head as she looked at his body. While his fur was a very light gray, almost white, his chest fluff looked almost like Tails' except being the dark gray that his hair was. She ran her hand across his chest, sliding it down to his stomach where the Claw mark was. His fur, fluff included, was almost silky smooth and soft to the touch. Arnec moved his shoulders up shyly, as if trying to hide his face. He was thin, but not frail. Those years of training showed with his toned body. Sure Shadow and Knuckles had more muscle, but Arnec wasn't exactly lacking. "So are you gonna heal it?" Tangle asked. Arnec shrugged "Don't see a reason to. Might as well have my own scars, gives me character..." he said, blushing as Tangle examined the wound. It had healed by itself somewhat, but would still wind up being a scar until Arnec's healing power did its job. Tangle smiled "Scars giving you character... This some kind of teen novel now? Next you're gonna say you're a vampire! Let me guess, in the sunlight you sparkle???" She said as his hand brushed her hair out of her face. Arnec couldnt help but smile as she looked at him Tangle yawned, her eyes getting heavier with each second. Arnec rubbed her back some more as her head rested on his chest. A minute or two layer he heard her low snoring, him smiling "No matter how jagged my path gets, you'll always get me back to the road..." he said quietly as his eyes got heavy too. He closed his eyes before going to sleep himself, their sleeping bag being across the room...