Playing the Game

I walked arm in arm with Joffrey. I was a bit scared, but then I remembered my battles, the men I had killed. If anything, Joffrey should be afraid of me. I used this confidence boost to engage the king in conversation.

  "The hall is lovely, think about all the kings who have walked these halls, the battles fought here, and the blood shed." I said with a hint of admiration.

  "Yes, and all those kings are dead now, except for me," Joffrey replied.

   "I understand Your Grace is very busy with matters of the realm, but would you mind showing me around sometime? I would love to see where the Mad King died and where the Targaryens are buried." I gave him a signature smile.

  He smiled back at me. "Of course, my lady. It would be my honor."

   We walked in silence for quite some time. I decided it was time to step up the game. "Your reputation precedes you, Your Grace. Everyone spoke of how dashing King Joffrey was, but none of their words compare to the handsome, courageous, powerful lion before me now." I wanted to throw up as the lies left my lips. His features brightened and he smiled at me.

  "Powerful, mmm you would be correct there," he was practically purring. Good. "Your flattery will get you far here at court," Joffrey winked. "Although you are a beauty yourself, Lady Isabel."

  I refused to let myself believe his words. A tyrant like Joffrey is not capable of human emotion. He feels only pride and bloodlust. Joffrey stopped. "Here is your room, I hope you shall find it comfortable. I will call on you later. For now, goodbye Lady Isabel."

   I curtsied deeply. "Goodbye, Your Grace." I hurried into my room and shut the door quickly. My things had already been delivered, thank the gods. I grabbed a dagger from the bottom of the trunk and placed it beneath my pillow. I swore I would protect my family at all costs, but I wanted to save myself as well.

   A knock at the door shook me from my thoughts. I slammed the trunk closed to prevent prying eyes, then I opened the door. The Queen Regent was in my doorway. 

  "Come in, Your Grace," I curtsied to her and allowed her to enter. Cersei was a formidable woman and I was always wary of her.

  "House Lannister thanks the Tyrells for their generous contributions to King's Landing," she said cooly.

  "You're very welcome. House Tyrell is glad to provide for the citizens of your lovely city." Lucky for me, I could fight wars and be a diplomat.

  "Yes, I've heard of what you did for the orphans of those lost in Blackwater. That was quite kind of you," I beamed on the inside but I knew Cersei had another motive. "However the people of Flea Bottom are savages and would cut your throat to steal your jewels and deflower you at a moment's notice. It's best your little.. excursions.. cease." She fixed me in a pointed glare as though she won something. "For your safety and my son's, of course," she added.

   I motioned for her to sit and I took the seat beside her. "Your Grace," I began in my most reasonable voice. "There are two things that can control the masses: fear and love. However, one of these alone will cause an uprising. If the people are constantly afraid of their rulers, a lone wolf will rise and they will all rally behind him. If you are too loving towards your people, you will be seen as weak and easily overthrown. Joffrey and I inspire both of these emotions in the hearts of the masses. Our marriage will make him," I said him to convince Cersei that I had no interest in taking the throne from her son,"unstoppable. "

   The Queen regarded me for a moment. "Spoken like a true member of court. You are smart, little dove. Hopefully your smarts keep you alive." She exited my chambers, leaving me to my weapons and unpacking.