Retaliation

"My dearest Isabel, I hope this letter finds you safe in King's Landing. I heard about your arranged marriage to King Joffrey and I only hope he isn't the monster I've heard he is. But I must confess something to you, Bel. I have broken one of my Night's Watch vows. When I joined the Watch, I renounced women. I wasn't allowed to sleep with a woman, but I did anyway. I love her, and I'm sorry if this hurts you, but you should find it in your heart to love Joffrey.
  Stay safe,
   Jon.
   My eyes were spilling over with tears as I tore the letter into pieces above a brazier. I watched as the flames devoured the dreaded words. Jon had discarded me. His letters were my only true happiness here and he had taken that from me.
  I grabbed my bow and quiver and stormed down to the training grounds. On my way there I thought about this other girl Jon had slept with. Was she a whore? Did my Jon fall in love with a whore? He didn't mention if he was going to be beheaded for breaking his vow. Even though he had hurt me, I didn't wish that fate on him.
   The warm night air enveloped me as I stepped onto the dirt of the training grounds. I grabbed some targets and set them up in rows. I wasn't sad anymore, I was angry. I didn't hate the other girl, for how could she have known? Jon is a very attractive, honorable man, though I didn't see how breaking one's vows is honorable.
   I nocked an arrow and slid the string back until my thumb brushed my cheek. I focused all my emotions on hitting the target. I held my arms steady and released. The arrow hit just below the midsection of the target. I smiled crookedly and continued releasing arrow after arrow into the targets until they looked like pincushions.
   "You handle a bow well," Damn it, I thought. When will people stop sneaking up on me while I'm practicing? I turned to face the spy and saw Joffrey.
   I curtsied quickly. "Thank you, Your Grace."
   He stepped forward into the light. "Do they allow girls to practice archery in Highgarden?"
   "If they wish, though it's mainly just me." Joffrey pursed his lips and placed his forefinger underneath my chin.
  "You're unhappy," he mused. "Why?"
  "May we sit, Your Grace?" I motioned to one of the benches nearby. Joffrey took my arm and we walked to the bench and sat down.
  "Now, tell me why my lady is upset." He placed a comforting hand on my knee.
  "I thank you for your kindness, my king. It's all very overwhelming that we are to be married soon, and I feel like we don't even know each other very well. Not that I'm not looking forward to marrying you, because I am, but I want to get to know you better." The lies poured out of my lips like poisoned honey.
  Joffrey smiled and put an arm around me. "I know you, Isabel. Very well. And you know me. I know I don't like seeing such a lovely lady upset. I know that I have enjoyed getting to spend time with you. I know that I have never met anyone quite like you. You astound me." I tried to return his smile, but a part of me wanted to believe him, to allow myself to love him so that I could forget the hurt that Jon caused.
  I decided it was now or never. I wrapped my arms around Joffrey's shoulders in an embrace. His arms snaked behind my back and he held me like that. I rested my face in the crook of his neck like I'd seen Loras and Renly do.
  When Joffrey pulled away he had a strange look on his face, one I couldn't decipher. I suddenly became aware of how close he was and my heartbeat quickened. I wanted to run, but I wanted to stay and my whole body seemed frozen as my mind fought with itself to get my feelings in check. Before I knew it, Joffrey kissed me. Like that my body unfroze and my hand was was on his cheek, pulling him towards me.
  Part of my mind was screaming "Jon!" over and over but Jon had made love to some ordinary girl and I was kissing the King. Joffrey pulled away slightly and whispered, "Let's get married tomorrow," I nodded and for the first time saw a genuine smile break the beast's features.
  "I'm King and if I want my wedding moved to tomorrow, so it shall be. Mother cannot refuse me," his haughty tone returned. "Now let's get back inside before dawn."
  Joffrey and I walked arm in arm back to my chambers where we bid each other good night. When the door was closed, I sat on the floor in shock. I had done it. My plan worked perfectly. Jon's letter was unexpected, but it gave me the emotional trigger I needed to win over the King. I weaseled my way into the heart of the vicious King Joffrey and tomorrow I would be Queen Isabel.