A Walk

{Thanks so much for all the views! I know this plot is incredibly overused and I planned on deleting this story, but I have a plot twist ending in mind so stay tuned! This scene is based on an actual scene in Game of Thrones so I cannot take credit.}
  I was sharpening my swords when I heard a knock on the door. "My lady, King Joffrey requests your presence in the throne room." I quickly put my swords away and checked my appearance in the mirror. Cersei didn't like how the Tyrell women dressed, but we get our way in politics while she screws her brother. Once I was satisfied with the way I looked, I left my chambers to meet Joffrey.
  I arrived in the throne room to see Joffrey seated on the Iron Throne. I had never seen the Iron Throne before and it took my breath away. A few hundred swords melted together in the breath of a dragon and upon it sat my future husband, undeserving of such a historic relic. But it was time to play the game.
   "You wanted to see me, Your Grace?" I said while curtsying so low my knees ached.
   "I would enjoy your company on a walk, dear lady," he replied. He rose from his seat and walked to me. I placed my hand on his arm and allowed him to lead me around the castle.
   Our first "attraction" was the Iron Throne. He told me about how his Uncle Jaime murdered the Mad King there and earned the nickname "Kingslayer." He took my hand in his and ran it along the throne. The metal was cool to the touch just like the boy that had my hand.
  Every place we stopped he told me of people who had been killed or tortured there and I pretended to be fascinated. My face would light up and I would give him a child-like smile.
  I soon grew bored of this cycle and attempted to steer him toward the castle balcony. "Does the castle balcony carry any tales?" I asked. He shook his head.
  "Going there would be a waste," he sniffed.
  "What if we made a story for it? The story of the people crying King Joffrey's name in utter adoration." My voice had a hint of whimsy. Joffrey gave me a quizzical look as I lead him to the doors. "Just follow what I do," I reassured him.
  The guards opened the doors and Joffrey followed me out onto the balcony. The people were gathered beneath us and as they looked up at us I gave them a genial wave. "Lady Isabel!" They cried. "Lady Isabel!" I gave Joffrey a playful nudge and he tentatively put his hand in the air. There was silence for a moment before cries of "King Joffrey!" Emanated from the people of King's Landing.
   A genuine smile came across Joffrey's face and I smiled back knowing I had just discovered a crack in the King's cold exterior. He wanted to be adored. To add to the moment and hopefully earn affection in Joffrey's eyes, I gently squeezed his opposite hand with mine and looked into his eyes. I thought I discerned a blush creep across his cheeks.
   As we walked back inside, the crowd was still shouting our names. Cersei was waiting there frowning at me. "My dear, may I have a moment alone with Lady Isabel?" She glared at me.
  "Of course, Mother." Joffrey kissed my hand and left me alone with the lioness.
  "Guards, bar the doors and turn your backs," she ordered. Every escape in the throne room closed, causing every muscle in my body to tense. Cersei grabbed my arm and pulled me to her. "If you ever endanger his life again I will have you skinned alive. I have powerful friends in court and you have none," she seethed.
   "King Joffrey's life was in danger the minute King Robert breathed his last," I retorted. "Not that you ever cared about Robert." Cersei raised her hand and struck my cheek. I didn't move a muscle, I just looked her right in the eye. She appeared unnerved and left the room.
  "That was rather harsh," a voice stated from a dark corner. Out from the shadows came a tall, thin man with dark hair and a mustache.
   "And who might you be? It is quite rude to spy, you know. Especially on the Queen Regent." I stepped forward ready to grab my dagger from its place on my thigh.
  He laughed, "My name is Petyr Baelish and if you know anything about me you'd know spying is what I do best. Now it seems you've made an enemy of the Queen Regent," Lord Baelish struck me as the snake type. I knew better than to trust him too much.
  "She's just a concerned mother, she means no harm," I blew him off. I just wanted to get back to my chambers and sleep.
  He leaned in and whispered in my ear, "My dear, I have ears all over the castle. I'll make sure no further harm comes to you. As Cersei said, you could use a friend." The snake slithered back into the shadows. I fled to my chambers as quick as I could.
   Loras was pacing back in forth in my room. When he saw me he embraced me. "Isabel, I was so worried! Why is your cheek so red?" He clenched his fists. "Did he lay his hand on you?!"
  I placed a reassuring hand on his arm. "It was just Cersei. I've endured worse than a slap, dear brother, as you know. I am not a weak child!"
  Loras grabbed my shoulders. He was more angry than I've ever seen him. "House Tyrell is one of the most powerful houses in the Seven Kingdoms. If you are ever harmed again, I will reign terror upon every Lannister ever born." I gently kissed his cheek to calm him down.
  "I love you, brother," I whispered.
   "I love you too," he replied. "I'll send a handmaiden in to get the swelling down." Loras left my chambers.
  "I am not afraid of Joffrey," I said to no one in general. "I am not afraid of Cersei, Tywin, Jaime, Illyn Payne or any other damned fool in the Red Keep. I have fought battles. I have killed men and watched the life leave their eyes as I ripped my sword from their bodies. I can play the game of thrones. I will survive."