Spying

I had woken early that morning to go on a walk. As I passed by the Hand's Tower, I overheard Joffrey, Cersei, Tyrion, Tywin, Varys, and Lord Baelish arguing.
  "You want to move the Royal Wedding to today?! You want to move an entire wedding, which will require large decorations, nobles from far away to get here in time, and copious amounts of food? It simply cannot be done," I heard Cersei say in disbelief.
   Tywin added on, "Not to mention the amount of angry nobles. The Crown cannot do it, Your Grace."
  Joffrey raised his voice in that whiny, child-like manner of his. "I am King and if I want to have my wedding today, my wedding will be today!"
   I stepped closer to the door in order to hear better. "What did that little slut do to convince you?" I heard Cersei murmur. I gasped at her harsh remark and the room went silent.
  "What was that?" Demanded Tywin. "Show yourself!" I hid quickly behind a column, just in time for the door to fly open and for me to see Tywin standing there with a threatening look on his face.
  He looked around a moment before stepping back inside. I should have run, but I did not. "It's probably just one of Tyrion's whores running around," Cersei said, her voice laced with disdain.
  "I'm afraid they aren't able to run when I'm done with them," sniped Tyrion with a hint of laughter.
  Tywin cleared his throat. "Your Grace, we will try to move the wedding to tomorrow, but it will not be today."
  There was a scuffling sound and Joffrey huffed. "If you ever call my lady a slut again I will have your tongue torn from your head, dearest Mother," he spat. His footsteps grew closer to the door and I hid again. He threw the door open and stalked out, slamming it shut. I knew he was heading for my chambers, but I had to continue listening.
  "Any reports from the North, Lord Varys?" Tywin asked.
  "Walder Frey sent a raven this morning with news of the Stark's demise. Robert, Catelyn, several Stark bannermen, Robert's wife and unborn child are all dead."
  "Send him the King's thanks. That is all. You are dismissed." I felt sick. Poor Sansa. She was all alone now. All she had left was Jon and her little brothers. I leaned against the wall for support. My head was swimming. Joffrey ordered this. Joffrey did this to hurt Sansa and protect his stupid crown.
  A hand gripped my arm and dragged me into a dark hallway. "Well Lady Isabel, already spying on private meetings. You'll make a great Queen yet," Lord Baelish's face came into view.
  I gripped his shoulders in desperation. "Tell me he didn't do this! Tell me Joffrey didn't kill Robb and his unborn baby!" My voice reached a hysteric tone.
   Lord Baelish pulled me to him roughly. "Listen to me," he hissed. "Robb was a traitor. An usurper. He had to die in order for you to be queen. Repeat after me: Robb was a traitor and deserved to die."
   I pulled myself together and repeated in a flat voice, "Robb Stark was a traitor. He deserved to die."
   "Good," he sighed. "You might yet survive." He left me standing stunned in the hall. I wanted to vomit, to scream, to run away. He didn't answer me. He didn't tell me if Joffrey had made the order or if Tywin took matters into his own hands.
   I walked slowly back to my chambers trying to compose myself. After the previous night, I was careful not to reveal my emotions. How could I ask Joffrey about this without jeopardizing the good relationship I worked so hard to build? I feared being Queen was going to require a lot of keeping my mouth shut.
   When I opened my door, Joffrey was already in my chambers waiting for me. He enveloped me in an embrace and kissed me passionately.
   "Where were you?" He whispered.
   "I went on a walk, Your Grace. I do enjoy the castle. I also wanted to find out if we were getting married today." I swallowed the lump in my throat.
   He sat on the divan with a frustrated sigh. "No, we are not. My mother and grandfather are completely incompetent." I sat next to him and held him.
   "Then when? I don't like waiting."
   Joffrey stroked my hair. "As soon as possible, my lady." The thought of being Queen was the only thing stopping me from running from his arms. I had to say something. I had to know.
   "News has traveled of Robb Stark's death," I commented, running my thumb across his hand.
    "Ah yes. 'The King in the North," Joffrey laughed. "It is very good he's dead, isn't it? Killed at a wedding I heard! We have won the war. My grandfather ordered that one. I wasn't at all threatened by him."
   I inwardly sighed of relief. I wasn't marrying a baby-killer.
   "I know what you think of me," he whispered. "I know what everyone thinks of me. When someone as young as I takes the throne, they are considered vulnerable. I could not be seen as vulnerable."
   "Joffrey," I said, testing how he would react to me using his name. "There are two ways to control people: fear and love. If they fear you, they will be too scared to rise against you. However a lone wolf, like Robb will rise up against you. If there is a mutual love between you and the people, some will see you as weak-hearted. You and I are the perfect balance of fear and love." I leaned in and whispered in his ear, "Long may we reign."
   "Long may we reign," he repeated. He cupped my cheek with his hand and kissed me again. "You are absolutely perfect Isabel," I shut my eyes and tried to organize which feelings were true and which feelings were the products of my lies but they all jumbled together. Joffrey gave me one last kiss and left.
   I started to panic. I did not want to fall for Joffrey. I came into this city with full intention of playing my cards right simply to be Queen. I could not allow my emotions to ruin that. Joffrey could not be trusted. I shut my emotions out of my mind and decided to sleep.