Absent

I entered mine and Joffrey's chambers to discover Joffrey, Jaime, Tywin, and Tyrion surrounding a table covered in what looked like chess pieces. "Stannis is on his way to Brazos to try to get funding for an army. If we intercepted him-" Tywin moved a lion across the table. "-here, then it wouldn't cost the Crown as much men, gold, and provisions as it would if we attacked elsewhere."

Joffrey was the only one who noticed my entrance. "My love, join us! Tyrion has suggested it would be good for the troops's morale if I went with Jaime to attack Stannis. What do you think?"

Joffrey was not battle ready. If word were to reach even a single one of Stannis' troops that the King was among the Lannister army, he would surely die and my reign as Queen would be over. "Leave us," I ordered.

"But Your Grace-" Jaime cut in.

"I said, leave us! Do not make me repeat myself!" Tywin glared at me and left, taking a reluctant Tyrion with him, followed by Jaime.

"Since when do you get to order around The Hand of the King?" Joffrey asked, annoyed.

"Since the King is making a foolish decision," I retorted.

"How dare you! Just because you are my wife doesn't give you the right to speak to me that way!" I was walking on thin ice. I had never argued with Joffrey, but if I was going to build a stronger marriage, we needed this.

"The fact that I am your wife means everything!" I stepped forward and grabbed his hands. He tried to pull away but I held fast. "If you go with Jaime, who will rule in your absence? Also, if one of Stannis' men hears that you are among our troops, all of them will want your head. The safest place for you is here, with me."

His eyes softened a bit, but they still had that stubborn Lannister beam. "My father took his troops into battle," he whined.

"Yes, and he was killed by a boar," I stated bluntly. "Joffrey, my love," I sighed. "Please don't go." I embraced him and placed my head on his shoulder.

My husband took my face in his hands. He looked me in the eyes and said, "Come with me. Fight by my side. Fight for me. Fight with me. I don't care as long as you're there."

He wasn't understanding. "Joffrey," I pulled him over to the bed and motioned for him to sit beside me. "The King and Queen gone at the same time opens the door for your enemies to take the Iron Throne. One of us has to stay and defend it."

"The entire Lannister family including Robert traveled north to Winterfell last year and no one stole the throne in our absence. Please, Isabel. Go with me. It would be good for us to get out of the castle walls. I need you by my side." Joffrey's plea had almost convinced me.

"Alright," I gave in. "But I want Myrcella on the throne in your place with Loras advising her." Loras was smart and Myrcella wasn't quite as gullible as Tommen and definitely not as ruthless as Joffrey.

"If it will put your worries aside, so be it. Oh, and Isabel, do you remember Olyvar? The young man who came before the throne early yesterday morning?" I nodded and tried to prevent my eyes from showing my guilt. "His body was found in Littlefinger's brothel. He committed suicide. Inside his tunic, however, was a note asking him to find anything incriminating on your family. I don't understand why he would kill himself, or why he was trying to incriminate your family, but please be careful, my love."

It didn't sound like Joffrey suspected foul play, and if he did I severely doubted that he would suspect my hand. I did not want to kill him, but I had to protect Loras. Loras may never truly forgive me for killing his one form of happiness here. I would make it up to him someday.

"I'll be careful, I promise."

Joffrey sighed in relief. "Good. Now let's enjoy tonight, because we leave tomorrow."