Departure

I had unentangled myself from Joffrey's arms late in the night to find Loras and Myrcella to explain to them their duty. I stealthily crept down the stone halls making as little noise as possible. Ser Meryn of course was asleep and didn't hear me leave, although I was ready to knock him out if he had saw me.

As I passed Cersei's chamber, I noticed light coming from under her door. Hoping she wasn't with Jaime, I carefully leaned against the door in order to hear what was keeping the Queen Mother awake so late.

"I need you to find out anything you can on the Tyrell family. Anything at all that could get that whore's claws out of my son and out of his life for good," she was saying. I was starting to get incredibly tired of being called a whore.

"As you wish, Your Majesty," a voice replied. I could not tell if the voice belonged to anyone I knew. I heard footsteps come nearer to the door and I hid. Out from the door came a young man with his hair shaven very short, wearing nothing but a coarse robe. I followed him into a dark corridor. Just as I raised the pommel of my sword, he whirled around and took hold of my wrist. "I would not advise that," he hissed. I hoped the corridor would be dark enough to hide my features.

"Why are you plotting against the Tyrells with Cersei?" I did my best impression of Joffrey and prayed it would fool him.

"There is the sickness of sin crawling over King's Landing and I intend to bring about justice," the man slipped from my grasp and disappeared into the shadows. Shaken, I crept along back to Loras. With Cersei employing radicals to dig up my family secrets, I had to be with my brother more than ever. I never intended for Loras to be at the Keep this long. I never intended to hurt him. I had sworn to protect my family, but now my family needs protection because of me, if not from me.

I could hear Loras praying from outside his door. Loras was never particularly religious, but the desperation in his voice hurt me even more. I lightly knocked on his door. "It's Isabel," I called. There was a pause before Loras slowly opened the door. He looked terrible. His curls were in complete disarray and his eyes were red and puffy. "Loras," I breathed.

"Isabel," he croaked. "Why are you awake so late?"

"I could ask the same of you," I replied and embraced him. "I've come to ask a favor of you, brother." Loras lifted his head and his tired eyes met mine. "I swear this is the last thing I will ever ask of you and then you need never face me again and I will not blame you."

"You are my sister and I love you, no matter what you've done. Now what is it you have to ask me?" Loras stroked my hair and kissed my forehead. I grabbed his hand and held it against my cheek.

"Joffrey and I are leaving the castle in a matter of hours. I don't know when or if we will return. Myrcella is going to rule in Joffrey's stead. You are going to be her sole advisor and guard. Where you go, she goes. There are snakes in this castle, dear brother, snakes that would bring harm to our family. I trust you with my life and with my kingdom. Please do this, if not for me then for yourself."

Loras ran a hand through his already mishappen curls. "I'll do it," he sighed. "But Isabel, please come back to me. I'll never forgive you if you don't," he laughed. I kissed my brother's cheek and left. Nothing had ever hurt me more than seeing him like that. Knowing that I had caused that pain crushed me even more. With a heavy heart I continued my walk to see Myrcella. I had never spoken to her before, and didn't quite know what she thought of me.

The guard posted outside Myrcella's chambers was unfortunately wide awake. "Your Grace, isn't it a bit late for you to be awake?" He inquired.

"Isn't it a bit out of your place to ask questions of the Queen?" I snapped.

"O-of course, I apologize, Your Grace," he stuttered and moved aside. I knew the princess was most likely sleeping, so I made the guard unlock the door to let me in.

I entered silently and shut the door. When I turned around, Joffrey was there. "You're terribly good at sneaking around in the middle of the night," he commented. "I've just explained to my dear sister her duty while we are gone. I imagine you've spoken to Loras?"

"Yes, my love."

"Then it is time for us to leave. Are you ready?" I nodded. Joffrey hugged Myrcella then grabbed my hand. He kissed me like we were dying, and we might have been.