28. Trial of a Queen

A/N: Hello my lovelies! In celebration of this book reaching number 1 in #royal, I decided to update this chapter a day earlier. Thank you all for the support and love you have given this book, for those of you which have been here since day one and stayed — thank you! For those who have just joined the family and given this book a chance — thank you! Without further-ado here is chapter 28 of OUADM.

Flora rushed down the stairs to where Hayden stood. She was confused as to why Rebecca was being escorted to the dungeons. Hayden gave his wife a small smile as she reached him.

"Hayden, why is your mom being detained?" She asked.

Instead of answering, Hayden cupped Flora's face and laid his forehead on hers. "I'm sorry," he cried. "I will make sure this all goes away."

Flora's eyes looked up at Hayden, staring at him through her thick lashes. "You know?"

       "William sent me the link," Hayden explained. Flora looked away trying to process what to say next and if she should tell him the other news she had to bare. "Do not worry about it, my love. The person responsible has been detained."

       "Your mom did this?" Flora turned to Hayden sharply as he nodded. "But h-how, why?"

"Come, let's talk somewhere more private." Hayden whispered as he guided Flora away from the onlooking servants. Hayden made sure to close the doors so no one would hear their conversation. "My mother found out about our marriage and how it came to be."

Flora's face went pale as her stomach churned from the news. "How?"

       "She found the documents after my father's death," Hayden explained. "She believes it is —"

       "I don't blame her," Flora confessed as she looked down at her palms. "If it weren't for those documents he would still be alive."

       "I would not so sure," Hayden sighed. "My father had a terminal illness that none of us knew about, until Lorenzo broke into the palace. I do feel that sense of guilt, but I also know he wouldn't want me punishing myself for the rest of my life."

"However, your mom does not feel the same way." Flora guessed and Hayden nodded.

"She asked me to divorce you," Hayden confessed and Flora turned to look at him. "I denied and I am guessing that is why she leaked the information about our marriage."

"So, what now?" Flora asked.

"I —"

"HOW DARE YOU IMPRISON OUR MOTHER!"  The young princess started at her brother, her nostrils flared as she breathed heavily.

       "Camilla —"

       "First, I have my classmates snickering behind my back because of rumor regarding my brother. Then I come home to find you imprisoned our mother!" Camilla scoffed in disbelief.

       Guilia appeared behind Camilla, placing a hand of her shoulder gently. "Give us a minute, my dear."

       "Unbelievable," Camilla gasped as she walked out of the study.

       "What do you recommend we do?" Hayden asked his grandmother who walked over to them.

       "You will host a ball," Guilia smiled. "Pretend this is all just a rumor, cast it away as lie."

       "But —"

       "Host the hall, meanwhile Hayden and I will try to get your mother-in-law to dismiss this incident and confess it was a lie to the news company." Guilia explained.