02. A Royally Fucked Up Family

The limousine was filled with an uncomfortable silence. The only thing that could be heard was Hayden's constant tapping against leather armrest on the door.

       "Why don't we try another court?" Flora suggested, finally breaking the silence, but Hayden gave her a dismissing look.

       "That was the only trust worthy judge in the city." Hayden answered, his tone serious as was his facial expression.

       "So, the best solution is to go see your parents?" Flora asked and Hayden let out a heavy sigh.

       "We will continue this charade for the rest of the year and half of the next, then we will announce our divorce." Hayden explained. "I know my parents and they would insist on an annulment and with their help it will become much easier for both of us to obtain."

       "Wouldn't it be easier to ask them to help us now?" Flora pressed on.

Hayden turned to Flora. "The king and queen are complicated people, they will have us carry this burden as lesson. However, if we feign love for the next eight months, but then argue that the marriage is not working they will work for us to get an annulment. We will both leave this situation unscathed."

Flora sunk back into the leather seat. She never meant for this to go this far, she never meant for any of this to happen, but now she had to deal with the consequences of her actions.

      "We need to discuss our coverup story about how our relationship came to be." Hayden stated, pulling Flora out of her trance.

       "We can say that we met at an interview and I accidentally spilled coffee on you. I felt so bad and you said I could repay you with a date."

       Hayden contemplated Flora's suggestion. "No." He was quick to reply.

       "What do you mean, 'no'?" She asked taken aback by his answer.

"It is too cliche." Hayden replied. "We will just tell them we met through mutual acquaintances, fell in love and tied the knot."

       "Wow, such a romantic." Flora said, the hint of sarcasm visible.

       "Before we go further with this arrangement, you should know I don't do love nor romance." Hayden blurted which caught Flora by surprise. "In front of the public, I will show affection, but I think it is best that we kept our distance when in private to avoid any feelings to be involved."

       Flora scoffed at his statement and turned to him with a frown upon her lips.

       "For your information, I also do not do love." She spat out. "So, I assure you, your highness, that you have nothing to worry about."

"Good." Was all Hayden said before turning his attention to his phone.

       Flora, too, turned her attention away from him. She could not believed she had slept with this egotistical douche, let alone marry him. She felt her blood boil as his words immersed back into her mind. How could he be so self-centered?

       "We are here your highness." Antonio announced as they neared the iron gates of the estate.

       Flora's mouth fell agape as she stared at the building in front of it. The beige castle-like mansion stood four stories tall, surrounded by well trimmed bushes and green grass. The light from every window illuminated the darkening sky. The car came to a slow stop in front of the building stairs and one the guards opened the vehicle door.

       "Let us get this charade over with." Hayden said as he stepped out of the limousine.

       He buttoned up his blazer, everything about him screamed rich and powerful, from his godly looks to his expensive clothing.