27. How It All Began

Hayden looked at the laughing couples as he sipped the cold honey brown liquid. He rolled his eyes at their bright smiles as they danced across the ballroom.

"There are many good options," Queen Rebecca whispered to her son, who only grimaced.

"Too bad I am not looking for any options," Hayden said through gritted teeth.

Queen Rebecca turned to her son with a scowl, ready to lecture him, but King Esteban intervened. "Son, you are of age —"

       "Beyond of age," Rebecca frowned.

       King Esteban sighed. "You will be king one day and it would be nice if you settled down soon."

       Hayden set his empty glass on one of the passing trays and looked over at his parents. "Last time I checked, being married in order to become a king was part of the 17th century. Now if you will excuse me —"

       Esteban gripped his son's arm before he could leave. "Please," he begged.

       "There is someone we would like for you to meet," Queen Rebecca added.

       Hayden glanced over in the direction Rebecca was looking at and frowned upon seeing Princess Isabella smiling their way. Hayden pulled his arm out of his father's grip and adjusted his blazer.

       "May I use the restroom first?" Hayden asked, his tone tempting his mother's patience.

       "Very well," King Esteban gave in.

       "But—"

       Hayden scurried away from his parents before his mother could oppose. The you g prince walked past the many royal faces, evading them as he tried to make his way to the exit doors. Hayden let out a heavy sigh as he reached the outside of the mansion. He took a seat in the concrete stairs as he contemplated his next move.

"Are you alright, your royal highness?"

Hayden rolled his eyes, annoyed that his moments alone were interrupted. Hayden pinched the bridge of his nose and put a brave face on as he turned around with a forced smile. However, as his eyes set on the familiar face, he broke into a bright smile.

"Are we going to get out of here or what?" William grinned mischievously as he helped his friend up.

"Let's go," Hayden led William to the royal limousine where Antonino was forced to drive the young prince to his favorite night club.

       The neon lights danced along to the rhythm of the music blasting through the speakers. Both drunk and half-drunk figures swayed to the beat on the dance floor.

       William smirked as he let his eyes wander around the club. "This is much better than that boring ball."

"Well —" Hayden picked up two shot glasses from a waiter walking by with a tray. "Let us enjoy this because I am quite sure I will not survive my parents wrath."

       William chuckled and the two friends gulped down their shots, letting the burning liquor flow down their throats. The two of the walked further into the club, reaching one of the tables alongside the dance floor.

William let out a low whistle as his gaze fell onto the dancing brunette. Curious as to what had attracted his friend's attention, Hayden followed his gaze. "That one is mine," William grinned proudly as he began his way to the brunette.

Without thinking, Hayden pushed William out of the way, getting ahead of him. William frowned and tried to catch up to Hayden but was blocked by the crowd of dancing couples. Hayden did not know what overtook him, but he was mesmerized by the beauty in front of it. He felt something pulling him toward her.