6

Shivani

(Mumbai)

After the dinner I didn’t know when I fall asleep in the car. It wasn’t like I was exhausted as Nikhil told I could make our dinner at our apartment. But I didn’t want to miss the chance to dine out with him.

But that day I was really angry with him. He didn’t let me pay for my shopping, not even for the dinner. Yeah, only that time he remembered he is my husband. So, he would pay for my bill.

Oh! I forgot one more thing. After he put me on the bed, he booked my flight ticket as well and sent it to me. Arrogant. Very arrogant.

The day I came to Mumbai he took half day to see of me at airport. You know what? He didn’t even say I’ll miss you or com back soon. Just a plain “have a nice flight.” And didn’t even wait for to hear my thank you.
He was happy that I left him alone. I know him. He must be happy to take the bed alone because I’m not there to disturb his sleep. He can have the bed until I go there.

But I’m clever enough to left my half of my cloths in the wardrobe. He gave me half of his wardrobe.

“Check my second drawer in the wardrobe. There is something for you.” I messaged him. That day I shopped for everyone. But didn’t give him at that time because I was angry.
I bought two tie, one shirt and one perfume for him. He only uses one specific perfume and it smells heavenly. It took me almost twenty minutes to find it.

This is my first gift to him. I bought it with my money, not my mom and dad.

I look at the phone again. He read my message. It’s 10 pm in India and almost 8.30 in Dubai. Maybe he just reaches from office and busy cooking his dinner. That’s why he hasn’t replied yet.

The phone in my hand starts to buzz showing an incoming video call from him. While I was busy thinking to answer the call or not it ended. I took a deep breath and call back him. He immediately answered it.

“Why didn’t you receive my call?”

“I was doing something.”

“I thought you forgot me.” my cheeks start to become warm hearing him. “I mean I thought that day you forgot to buy something for me.” he said scratching the back of his neck nervously. I chuckle sensing his nervousness.

“Why’re you laughing?” he asked me raising his one eyebrow.

“When did I laugh?” trying to make a neutral face.

“Don’t fool me wifey. You just did.” I just shrugged.

“Someone forgot to say thank you for the gift. So ungrateful.”

“Do I need to say it now? I was thinking to say it in my way, later.”

“In that case, take your time. Do it later in your way. Okay I’m hanging up now. I need to go to university on my research related work tomorrow.”

“ok, bye take care. Sleep well.”

“You too.”

*****

“You were in Dubai for two months. Very long honeymoon I see.” currently I’m here in the university at my guide’s office to report him my work’s progress and discuss what I have to do more.

"Nikhil works in Dubai. So, I went with him after our wedding." It was honeymoon or whatever why he is saying this. And why am I explaining to him? Just because he is my guide, do I need to tell him my marital details?

"Sir coming to my research I have done all of it like you said and I have mailed you everything before I came here." I changed the topic from my never going honeymoon to my research work.

"We'll talk about this later. First tell me how's your husband?" I try to compose myself to answer him. It’s not like he didn’t ask me about my family before. He always asks about my family wellbeing. But asking about my husband feels so awkward to me.

"He is good sir." I simply answered him hoping he would end this question and answer session here.

"Good in bed?"

"WHAT?"

"Can he satisfy you in bed?"

"What rubbish are you talking about sir?"

"I'm talking about pleaser dear. If he can't then I'm here." I was in shocked hearing his words that I couldn't remember when he stood up from his chair and leaning near me and whispered it near my right ear. I can never imagine he can say these to me. The man I respected from three years as my guide, he just lost it in just a one minute. Where he hides this side of his?

He has very beautiful wife at home, even has a school going child who is sweet and cute. How can this man be so disgusting and disrespectful towards women, to his students? To me?

I didn't think anything I stand up and slapped him. Not even once, twice thrice on his cheeks.

"You crossed your line sir. No No not Sir. You don't deserve respect. You...you…" I couldn't form a sentence. I never fight with anyone or bad mouthed anyone.

I run towards the door but he holds my wrist and pinned me on the wall.
“Where do you think you’re going after slapping me and disrespecting me?” I try to come out of his hold but I’m failing. One last try, I kneed him hard where the sun doesn’t rise.
I think he didn’t expect that from me. He couldn’t bear the pain and fell down on the floor holding his most precious thing.

I took the chance and hurriedly left his office.

I'm shaking from top to bottom. Tears are coming out of my eyes. I wiped it off. I'm a mess. A complete mess.
Just then I received a threatening message from the bastard.

"If you tell about what happened today to anyone, I'll finish your career which isn’t even started yet. Don't think about going to police to complain about me because they already know me and will take my side. No one will believe you. So, you better remain silent."

Now where should I go? All I know that I can't go to home, Nikhil's home. It just two months I got married to him what will they think about me if I tell them today's incident. They can question on my character. They can question on my upbringing. After that it will end. Though my Mother in low is exceptionally a sweet lady, will she take my side? I don’t know.

And I can't go to my mom home because she will drag him from his office to court. It won’t be a simple harassing case anymore.

Now she is dealing with a rape case. A man who didn't do it but the girl trapped him by saying that he did it. He is completely innocent. If I tell her this, I know it'll effect on her career and reputation.

Lastly, Nikhil I don't think it is a good idea to tell him. We just started to know each other, our relationship just blooms and because of this it'll end. It'll completely tarnish whatever we've between us. Will he even trust me over that bastard? I doubt that. I don't have any evidence to prove him guilty.

Even he trusts me or take my side, I’m afraid it’ll degrade both Malhotra and Anand family’s reputation.

No! No! I can't tell anyone about this. It'll directly come into my character. I'll be a character less girl in front of everyone. Because no one would trust me over the professor who has a very good reputation in the university and society. He already told me what will happen if I tell anyone.

At the end it’ll degrade our family’s reputation. Leave about pointing at my character, I can listen and bear it but I can’t bear anyone badmouthing about my family. Now it includes the Malhotra family.

At this situation, I become a coward who can’t stand for herself, for her dignity. Shame on me.

Really shame on me.

******