22

Shivani

After having the delicious meal prepared by both of my mom and Sheena now, we’re sipping tea on the living room balcony. Mom and dad are going to leave soon so we suggested to have tea before they go.

“It was a great day with you all. Once again happy six months anniversary to you both. It was a great surprise son. Happy to see you after so long. And I’m asking you Malhotra family to visit us otherwise my daughter forgets that there’s a home where we live alone.” Dad said looking at me. I’m feeling guilty.

“Dad, you already know how busy I’m lately with my research works but I was thinking of visiting and this happens. Don’t worry we’ll visit you soon. But before you go home, I’ve an announcement to make.” I didn’t want to interrupt by saying it on the dining table. So, I saved it for later.
They all started looking at each other with an excitement filled eyes except one person. Nikhil...his eyes glued on mine patiently waiting for me to speak.

“I got an opportunity to attend a seminar and workshop in Japan.” I look at my parents, their eyes brightened than earlier they’re happy. Thank god they’re happy and when I look at my in-laws their eyes tell a different story. But when they learned that I’m looking at them they covered up quickly with a smile. Are they not happy about it?

What am I thinking? Of course, they weren’t expecting this news that’s the reason maybe they were shocked and surprised. I’m starting to overthink everything and my lack of sleep and rest is the main reason behind this. I shooed away my negative thoughts.

Lastly, I looked at Nikhil, his expression is serious. So, I didn’t wait for them to ask me the details. They need to know more information.

“Actually, it’s not compulsory it’s up to me if I want to go there or not? Ma’am told me about it today only.”

“She is right it’s up to you Vani. It’s really a great opportunity.  We’ll be happy if you want to grab the opportunity or not. But you two discuss about it first. We’ve no rights to interfere now.” Saying that mom look at dad.

“Yes, your mom is right. It’s solely up to you, we can only encourage you to do this.” Nikhil’s mom said.

“Okay, discuss and tell us about your decision. It’s very late now we need to leave. What do you say Mr Anand?” Mom signal dad to leave our place early so that we can discuss it and finalise it.

“Yes, yes it’s our time to go. We’re thankful that you invite us to join. We had a great time.” Dad showed his utmost gratitude to the Malhotra’s.

“Thank you for coming.” Nikhil’s dad said. He is a man of few words.

Dad hugged me and whispered to me to never let go of such good opportunity out of my hand. I just nodded.

They always want me to go outside and experience new things. They never restricted me from anything. Even they couldn’t accompany me because of works they allowed me to travel to my uncle home to U.S alone on my holidays. They were never like you’re a girl you can’t go alone or do that thing. They always encouraged and supported me. And always will I know.

They bid bye to us.

“It was a hectic day you two go and rest.” Mom told us.

I didn’t say anything. I really need to talk about it with Nikhil. Dad is right, after my marriage Nikhil is my guardian. I know it’s me who would decide but as a better half it’s my duty to take his opinion on this matter. He has every right on me and my things.