8

Nikhil

I just left her for half day to do my pending works and asking for leave for some days. Here she is sitting on floor of the balcony.

“From how long you’re sitting on the balcony?” She was so lost in her thought that she didn’t know my presence, she got afraid after hearing my voice all of sudden.

I should have indicated that I’m here. I got down on her level “What happen to you? Why are you upset? You didn’t even have your lunch. Skipping your lunch won’t solve your problem. Tell me what’s going on, Vani?” when I opened the fridge to grab a water bottle, I saw the untouched food.

“Nothing. I’m ok.” her voice was low.

“Don’t try to lie to me. Something is really going on that’s why you’re behaving differently. What’s bothering you? Everyone is so tense seeing you sad. Firstly, mom thought you were missing your home that’s why she sent you there, now she sent you here thinking you were missing me and I know it couldn’t be true. So, tell me what’s really bothering you? If you don’t tell me how do I know it and solve it for you, huh? It’s scaring me seeing you like this, Vani. Is it that big that you can’t tell anyone?” she just nodded. Now I’ve to know this anyhow.

“We’re with you even you murdered someone. There would be a valid reason behind it we know. So, you don’t have to worry thinking you’re alone. I’m with you, our families are with you. You don’t have to scared. I have given you enough space now I won’t give you that. Enough of looking scared. Be brave and face it. I promise I’ll be with you. Tell me Vani.”

“My guide, verbally and physically abused me that day when I went to report on my research progress. He said inappropriate words talking about me staying here for two months as our honeymoon and talked dirty things about you satisfying me on bed. If you’re not then he said he would help me to…”

“shhhh..don’t say another word.”

*****

Next day

“I don’t know what you do but I want him out of the university, in jail.” After hearing what that mother fucking professor tried to do with my wife, I couldn’t control myself. I gave a complaint against him to the vice chancellor by email. I mentioned my phone number there. VC didn’t call but I received a call from the university authority who handle this type of situation.

“We can’t do anything regarding this matter if the victim doesn’t give her testimony in front of the authorities.”

Vani told me why she didn’t approached police or complained in the university. But I couldn’t care less about our family reputation., if she isn’t safe then what I’ll do with the family reputation and all. I want him to suffer. Why did he touch my wife? He did a very big mistake by touching my wife. My woman.

“I have given an application regarding this and gave you the date and time, why don’t you check the corridor CCTV footage. She came out crying rescuing her dignity.” I can’t force her to go there. She isn’t in a condition to give her statement against that bastard. She is still in shock.

“If the CCTV footage saw us enough evidence that he harassed her then we’ll give him a chance to state his part. Other than that, we can’t do anything, victim has to come here personally to state what happened that day. We just can’t drag him to our office without any proof.”

“She isn’t in a situation to go there to give her statement. But she has a threatening message from him. You can relate the timing of the message with the footage of cctv.”