04 | вegιn αgαιn

You pulled my chair out, helped me in

And you don't know how nice that is

Chapter 04 ~ Begin Again

      Max Caldwell

"How'd it go?" Were the first words to leave Trey's mouth when he met up with me at my locker. He was wearing his football jersey for no apparent reason because the football season ended in November and we were halfway through May, but I stopped questioning half the things the football jocks did.

I grabbed the binders from the top shelf of my locker and stuffed them in the crook of my arm, while trying to balance another stack of books on top of them. "It went well, I guess. Dr. Reis was pretty understanding and he didn't judge me for sleeping around with guys or being gay and what not."

His lips stretched into a smile. "That's good news."

"Yeah," I shrugged it off like it was no big deal, "but do you remember the mystery boy from the coffee shop? The one I told you about?"

Trey leaned against the locker adjacent to mine and gazed back at me with dark curious eyes, hinting me to continue.

"He was there," I told him. "We talked for a while and I found out his name is Liam. Can you believe that? Liam! That's such a hot name. We're going to hang out after school today."

Trey gave me a look of reluctance and tugged on the rim of his baseball cap. Even though we weren't allowed to wear hats in school, many of the teachers made an exception to Trey because he claimed he couldn't live without his baseball caps.

"Don't you think you're moving too fast?" He asked me, which I should have expected to come out of his mouth. "I think you should wait a little, since you're seeing the therapist and everything."

I laughed at him. "Just because I'm seeing a therapist doesn't mean I'm going to put my life on hold, Trey. I can't control when I'm horny."

He narrowed his gaze at me and grinned widely. "Yes, you can. You just choose not to."

I shrugged. "Which is clearly the difference between me and you. I actually know how to have fun."

Trey opened his mouth to respond but stopped when one of his fellow teammates, Matt, placed a hand on his shoulder. He was incredibly large in size, and his piercing blue eyes were looking at me with such anger and hatred. Originally, I thought he only looked at me that way, but that seemed to be the only facial expression he was capable of. His presence alone made me so scared that I had to take a few steps back.

"What you talkin' to this faggot for?" He asked Trey, but still keeping his hard, unfriendly gaze on me.

I flicked my attention back to Trey to see the bright smile he had only a few seconds ago was quickly disappearing and I could see a mixture of regret and intimidation growing in his dark eyes.

"I was making fun of his ridiculous shirt," Trey said, chuckling nervously. "Makes him look more gay than he already is."

I glanced down at my Panic at the Disco t-shirt and frowned, but I didn't make a move to say anything.

The corner of Matt's lips pulled into a slight smirk. "It is a pretty gay shirt," he commented with satisfaction. He patted Trey's back, almost making him stumble over. "Anyway, queer, I don't got any lunch money."

Almost immediately, I stuffed my free hand into my pocket and fished out a crumpled five dollar bill, handing it to him. "Um, that's all I have."

Matt inspected the dollar bill as if there was something wrong with it, and then shoved it into his own pocket. "That's a shame," he sighed while exchanging a knowing look with Trey. "Expect another swirly during lunch."