18 | тσ∂αу ωαѕ α fαιrутαℓє

a/n: I'm gonna do a little mini-contest, just because. Whoever has the most inline comments by the time I post the next chapter will get a follow! And yes, I'll be counting.

Can you feel this magic in the air?

Must've been the way you kissed me

Chapter 18 ~ Today Was a Fairytale

Max Caldwell

I awoke with a start when I heard a knocking sound at my window. It was the early hours of the morning when the sun was just starting to rise, making me jump to the conclusion that someone was trying to break into the house.

Ripping myself from the sheets, I inched off the bed and slowly made my way to the window. Sucking in a deep breath, I cautiously peered out the window, fully expecting to be faced with a scary guy in a ski mask. Instead, I saw Trey standing on the ground, nearly two stories down, holding a handful of rocks. When he saw me, he broke into a full grin.

I shook my head in disbelief and stepped away from the window, drawing the curtains closed.

I was serious when I said our friendship was over. Pretending to be straight because of his fear of coming out was one thing, but ruining my happiness by blabbing about our affair was another. There was no way he was going to get off the hook for that.

My plans to ignore Trey fell short when he continued to throw rocks at my window. If he kept at it, the glass would certainly break.

Sighing, I returned to the window, unlocked the latches, and pushed it open. "Stop," I ordered as soon as I popped my head out the window.

"Rapunzel, Rapunzel. Let down your long hair," he responded with a breathtaking smile.

"Do you think you're funny?" I questioned. "Because you're not."

"Max, I'm sorry."

I rolled my eyes deep into my sockets. "No, you're not."

He gaped at me. "Of course I am!"

I threw him a forced smile and leaned on my hands. "Not only did you almost ruin my relationship with Liam, you also got a hold of drugs and you know how I feel about that stuff."

Trey sighed and adjusted the position of his baseball cap. "I know, Maxxie, I know. I was just sad..."

"Sad?" My eyebrows crumpled together as I looked at Trey in confusion. "Over what?"

"You rejected me," he explained. "I thought that maybe after we did what we did, you would want to be with me since you fall in love with everyone you sleep with."

I tried not to be offended by Trey's words and sighed. I always had a strange feeling that Trey wanted to be more than friends, but I silently hoped it wasn't the case.

"Wait, I don't understand. What about Eric?"

Trey chewed thoughtfully on his bottom lip. "About that ... there is no Eric."

"What?" I said, not quite believing what I was hearing.

It took him a while to answer. "He's not real. I made him up."

And in that moment, I snapped.

Days of rage supressed inside me finally surfaced and I wanted nothing more than to tear off Trey's head and feed him to Lola for breakfast.

That fucking bastard.

The rocks Trey had thrown at my window caught my attention. They were laying still on the roof panels, within reach. I leaned further out the window and snatched one of them and threw it directly at him. I wasn't at all gifted in athletic abilities, but somehow, I managed to pelt him right in the shoulder.