23 | тнє ѕтorу of υѕ

So many things that I wish you knew

So many walls I can't break through

Chapter 23 ~ The Story of Us

Max Caldwell

"Smile!"

Trey's hand snaked around my waist as he tugged me closer to him, allowing me to relish in the smell of his heavy-doused cologne. I wasn't really comfortable with Trey holding me so close, but I had to bear it for a few more seconds until my mom took the picture.

"Maxxie, you're not smiling!" my mother sang in a cheery voice. I wanted to roll my eyes at her over-excitement. She was like most mothers who wanted to capture the important milestones of their children's life, except she was far worse. She woke me up at eight thirty in the morning to get ready for an event that started at seven at night. If that wasn't bad enough, she spent a total of twenty minutes trying to set up the house for a full-on photo shoot.

"I am smiling," I spat at her.

She looked away from the viewfinder and gave me a patronizing gaze. "I mean give me a real smile with your teeth."

I felt Trey chuckling beside me. "Mom," I whined.

"Stop complaining and smile," she retaliated as her attention shifted to my dad, whose arms were folded against his chest in disapproval. "Honey, can you fix Maxxie's tie?"

He huffed. "His tie looks fine."

My mom's stare turned cold and unfriendly in the matter of milliseconds. "Honey, can you fix Maxxie's tie?" she repeated in a much more threatening voice.

Dad released a heavy sigh and stalked over to me reluctantly. A slight frown crept onto his face as he adjusted the position of my black bow tie. Ever since my mom kicked him out to rethink his actions, he was always in a sulking mood. He never really smiled anymore and I felt horrible for being the source of his misery.

I never doubted for one second that my father loved me. I knew he did. He just didn't approve of my lifestyle. I didn't know the reason - it wasn't religious - but whatever it was, he stood by it. Maybe he could accept that I was different, but he just didn't like seeing it, and going to prom with another boy wasn't making it any easier on him.

"There," he said when he was finished. "It's good now."

I gave him a small smile. "Thanks, dad."

He nodded in response and walked back to my mother's side.

She clapped her hands in excitement and ducked behind the camera. "Okay, now smile!"

Desperately wanting to escape this pointless torture, I smiled the biggest smile I could muster up and waited for the camera to flash.

"Great! That's beautiful. Trey, you're quite the photogenic one, aren't ya?" she questioned with a wink.

Trey laughed along with her. "What can I say? I like having my picture taken."

I noticed Trey's hand was still securely placed on my waist and it was venturing lower by the second.

"Trey."

He retracted his hand almost immediately. "Sorry."

My mom rushed to our side and placed her manicured hands on our shoulders. "Okay, you guys be good! No drugs and no alcohol."

I rolled my eyes. "Yes, mom."

I suspected a sloppy, motherly kiss was coming, but I didn't dodge it in time. "And have fun!"