22 | вα∂ вℓoo∂

Now we got problems

And I don't think we can solve 'em

Chapter 22 ~ Bad Blood

Max Caldwell

My fingers pressed into the windowsill as I leaned against it, turning my head to peer out of the glass. It was the early hours of the afternoon and I was currently sitting in Dr. Reis' office, waiting for something to hit me. I wasn't quite sure what exactly I was waiting for. Maybe something like a sudden realization or insight that would get me out of the dark reality I was slipping into.

"How's it coming along?" Dr. Reis interrogated me through the unsettling silence.

I shrugged, acting nonchalant, but inside my heart was slowly deteriorating. I had tried to get over Liam during these past few days, but that proved to be a very challenging task, especially because I didn't know how to handle a situation like ours. I never actually dated a depressed closeted gay who constantly obsessed over his dead boyfriend.

Dr. Reis motioned to the sketchbook in my hands and I glanced down at it, sucking in a shaky breath when I realized I was unknowingly drawing Liam's face, again. I had tried to draw a tree, but somehow, just like the other fifteen rejected sketches, I managed to draw Liam.

I gazed back at Dr. Reis, who was looking at me with concerned eyes, and slammed the sketchbook shut. "Stop that."

He tilted his head to the side, feigning ignorance. "Stop what?"

Scoffing, I tossed the sketchbook to the side and folded my arms against my chest. "Stop judging me."

Dr. Reis released a heavy sigh. "I am not judging you, Max."

"Yes, yes you are!" I barked at him. "You're silently judging me. I know you want to say 'I told you so' because you warned me against dating Liam."

He wasn't the least bit affected by my words. "Yes, I want to, but I'm not going to."

A purposeful huff fell from my lips as I kicked my legs up on the windowsill again. "How are you even qualified to be a therapist? You're kind of an asshole."

His full lips down turned into a slight pout and his grey eyes glanced up to the ceiling in deep thought. "Well," he began as he interlaced his fingers, "I got my bachelor's degree in psychology, then I went on to pursue my master's in counseling and then-"

"It was a rhetorical question," I snapped. "I don't actually care."

His expression morphed into one of pure amusement. I didn't understand how he could be so smug all the time, like nothing bothered him.

He tapped his pen against his clipboard. "Perhaps I should remind you that you came to me."

I wrapped my arms around myself, seemingly shrinking into my skin to hide the fact that I was actually seeking help from Dr. Reis. I knew I would never want to admit it, so I was perfectly content with insulting him every chance I got.

With a reluctant sigh, I jumped down from the windowsill and began to pace in circles.

"I don't know what to do!" I blurted out, allowing my emotions to take over. "I mean, Liam was the first guy who wanted to date me!"

Dr. Reis' careful gaze followed my every move. "And he won't be the last, I can assure you."

I paused my fervent pacing. "How do you know that? In case you haven't noticed, I'm not exactly the most like-able person! It took me twenty eight tries to find Liam and even he doesn't want me!"