01 | ιnnocenт

I guess you really did it this time

Left yourself in your war path

Chapter 01 ~ Innocent

      Liam Slater

I hate people.

It may sound like an exaggeration, but I can promise that it's not.

I hated the girl seated next to me, who was tapping her obnoxiously long nails against her table. I hated the janitor who had mopped under my table for the millionth time. I hated my parents for sending me to this damn place to get their morning coffee. I hated my so-called friend, Marcy, for blowing up my phone with text messages like she had nothing better to do.

And I hated myself for being so ... me.

It wasn't like I wanted to hate people. If I had it my way, I would have a million friends on Facebook and be the one guy at school that everyone just knows. Considering that no one used Facebook anymore and I didn't go to school, that would be a very far-fetched dream.

So no, I didn't hate people for the mere purpose of hating them. I hated people because they annoyed me. They didn't have to try, they just did. They could simply cough and I would think they were the doing it on purpose to make me mad. Logic would tell me that wasn't exactly the case, but logic also seemed to take a backseat when I had my episodes.

Like right now.

The episodes come in the most unexpected of times. Sometimes, I would be fine - not happy, not sad - just fine. Then the depression would kick in and suddenly, the world seemed like a dark place.

That was how the doctor explained it to me, but I think he was wrong. The world is a dark place, and the depression only made me see it clearly.

My phone buzzed on the table and I glanced at it, only to see Marcy's name illuminating the screen for the thousandth time. I suppressed a groan as I slid my finger across the touch screen to read her text messages.

They were nothing of importance, like the majority of Marcy's text messages. She was trying to send me inspirational quotes to "make my day better", which was a result of me telling her that getting up in the morning was really difficult for me. I didn't know why Marcy took it upon herself to cheer me up, when her text messages did the exact opposite.

The girl beside me stopped tapping her nails against the table and stood up abruptly. She sauntered over to the register and retrieved her coffee cup from the employees, then began to tap her nails against the cup. As she was walking back to her seat, she caught my stare and she sent me a flirty smile.

I rolled my eyes at her and I didn't care if it offended her or not.

One of the employees called my name and I, too, walked to the register where one of the workers held my order in their hands. He was extremely small in size, compared to me, and his black silky hair was styled to perfection. It was obvious he had spent a good amount of time on it, and because of that, he didn't wear the hat that the other employees wore.

I reached for my order, but the boy retracted his hand. "Oh my god," he breathed out in a low whisper as his toffee colored eyes gazed back at me.

I could feel my impatience starting to kick in. "What?"

"You're really beautiful," he replied. I would admit that the comment took me by surprise, but the boy seemed to not have any regrets of complimenting me. "Are you a model?"

I pressed my lips together. "No."

The boy rubbed his chin in deep thought, still holding onto my order. "You're kidding."