24 | ℓαѕт кιѕѕ

a/n: please listen to the song of the chapter Last Kiss by Taylor Swift to the top. It goes really well with this chapter.

You told me you loved me

So why did you go away

Chapter 24 ~ Last Kiss

Liam Slater

I stared at the orange bottle of prescription pills in disbelief and squeezed my eyes shut with the hope that when I opened them again, this would all be just a dream.

It wasn't.

"Whoa, wait, you're saying Marcy did this to Scotty?" I questioned Max, who just gave a nonchalant shrug.

"I don't know. You seem pretty convinced that he wouldn't kill himself, and if that's the case..." He glanced down at the bottle and thumbed it between his fingers, "...then something else must have happened, right?"

A minute of total silence came over us. As time passed by, the revelation continued to settle in the forefront of my mind. I never thought of the possibility of Marcy having anything to do with Scotty's death. Hell, I never thought of the possibility of murder. Sure, I didn't want to believe he committed suicide because he never gave an explanation, but I would have never considered murder.

Especially not Marcy, of all people. She wasn't the nicest, but she couldn't be a killer.

Max realized I was getting lost in my thoughts and crawled over to my spot on the floor to place a comforting hand on my shoulder. "Liam, it's just a theory. We don't know if it's true and even if it is, we can't prove it."

A dizzying sickness swept over me and my vision started to blur. I stared straight ahead, trying to focus my sight on a single object, but all I saw was an indistinct blur. Not bothering to wonder about the cause of the problem, I slowly closed my eyes.

All of this information was too much for me to handle at once. My brain was trying to make sense of it, I was trying to make sense of it, but nothing made sense. Somehow, it hurt less to think Scotty killed himself rather than to think someone killed him. That would mean that someone else decided his fate and he would have still been alive if it hadn't happened. He would still be mine.

I wasn't quite sure why I felt the sudden urge to hold Max's hand, but I knew it calmed me down enough to speak. "I'm going to ask her."

"No!" he protested in a loud uproar. "Are you crazy? If she did it, she won't admit it and that'll only give her a reason to hurt you."

"What's the point," I answered, monotone and vacant, eyes still shut. "She already hurt me."

"The point?" He squeezed my hand a little tight, making me turn to look at him, even though my vision didn't allow me to see much. "The point is I don't want anything to happen to you."

I nodded gently. "How did you even know that, anyway? About the pills."

"Well, scientists manufacture drugs so that they are safe for the consumer. It's hard to overdose and even if it happens, it rarely results in death. The only time when it's the most dangerous is when it's mixed with something else. It's common knowledge."

I leaned my head back against the wall and gave a soft, weak laugh. "It's not common knowledge if I don't know it."

He ran his thumb along my knuckles, managing to soothe me. "Well, you dropped out of school, remember?"

I laughed again, but it sounded like a wheeze. It was like the discomforting thoughts biting at my mind were making me physically sick, and I wasn't sure how long I'd last before I truly went insane.