13 | нoω уoυ gєт тнє вoу

I want you for worse or for better

I would wait forever and ever

Chapter 13 ~ How You Get the Boy

Liam Slater

"Mom says I'm going to meet your girlfriend tonight at dinner," My half-brother, Owen, informed me as he plopped down on the edge of my bed with a beer bottle in one hand and a cigarette in the other.

I removed my eyes from the book I was reading and stared at him. "Girlfriend?"

He nodded as he took a long drag from his cigarette, exhaling a large puff of smoke. "Yeah, said her name was Mary, or Macy, or something."

I already knew my mother wanted me to date Marcy for quite some time now, but I never thought she would go as far as telling Owen that she was already my girlfriend. "She's not," I clarified immediately. "She's just some girl."

Owen flicked his intense brown eyes to me. "Just some girl?" He questioned with an amused smirk and raised brow. "Come on, Lee, you and I both know that's bullshit."

I simply blinked at him. "It's not."

He eyed me with his skeptical gaze for a while longer, before taking a sip from his beer and finishing it off with another drag. I never understood how he could do that, but he made it look cool.

That was the thing about Owen; he was cool.

He didn't really give a damn about anything, which allowed him to do

stupid things without worrying about consequences. He was able to get away with it, because he lived with his father and our mother's ex-husband, who didn't really give a damn about anything either. He was lucky that he didn't have to endure my mother's wrath when she preached about God.

I never got to see him much because he lived two hours away and half the time, he was too stoned to stop by. Once in a while though, he would come over just to check in, and leave me with gifts that he acquired along the road.

Owen's eyes snapped open when a thought entered his mind. "Hey, you still got that pound I gave you?"

I pointed to the the edge of the bed. "I'm almost out though."

A cheeky smile twisted onto his face as he dug his hand under the mattress to retrieve the plastic baggie filled with white powder. He assessed the contents of the bag, before shaking his head in disbelief. "Damn," he said softly, "I'll need to get you a new one, then."

I let out a courteous laugh for his sake, but my mind was really filled with memories of Max telling me that drugs weren't good for me. He might have been right, but it wasn't like he knew what I went through on a daily basis. He didn't know that the cocaine made me feel better. Temporarily, maybe, but it was better than nothing.

One thought led to another and soon enough, I was thinking about Max again. I thought back to how sad he looked when he saw Owen in my bedroom, and how heartbroken he must have felt when I shut him out. I could have explained everything to him, but it was for his safety. I didn't want to hurt him like Xavier said I would. The only way to keep him safe was to keep him away.

That seemed like a good idea in my head, but it was kind of hard to facilitate when all I thought about was how adorable he was.

I snapped my attention back to Owen again and noticed he had already rolled a twenty dollar bill and was gently snorting the white substance. He caught me staring and smiled. "I'm sorry, where are my manners? You want some?"

I smiled weakly at him. "No, no I'm okay."

He shrugged and continued to snort. When he was satisfied, he threw his head back, took a deep breath, and then gazed back at me. "Are youokay? Like how's this whole treatment thing working out for you?"