SIXTEEN

Aiden

I walk into my house and hang my coat up on the coat rack near the door. Hillary the gray haired, hippy nanny that we've employed for years and feels more like my mother than my own meets me at the door.

"Hello, dear. Marshall is all washed up watching television, I'm going to head home if that's alright?" She asks, drying her hands on her apron slung around her waist.

I nod. "Sure, thank you again, Hillary, I don't know what I would do without you." I say honestly. "I hope my boy was good for you?"

"He was an absolute gentleman, I really enjoy watching him, he's very funny." She says pulling her coat on then her shoes. I step out of her way.

"Have a good night Hillary, make it home safe." I tell her as he opens the door.

"You too, Aiden." And she closes the door behind her I lock it and breathe out.

I walk into the kitchen, grabbing a glass of wine on my way in, and then I head for Marshall. I usually put Marshall to bed before even thinking about work and contracts.

"Hey buddy, how was hanging with Hillary?" I say throwing myself on the couch beside him. I see he's watching looney tunes.

He shrugs, "It's always nice with Hillary, she let me help cook. She says that your plate is in the microwave, and its really good this time, I chopped all the onions for it!" He says smiling wide.

"Awesome, thanks buddy. I can't wait to try it." I say. "I'll have it in a little while."

"How was the cookie girl?" He says with a smirk.

"Good good, she was just a little upset tonight so I thought I'd walk with her home." I tell him almost the truth, but the smart kid just smiles a knowing smile.

"Sure, dad."

I nudge his shoulder. "What?"

"I think you have a crush on the cookie girl, I'm not mad, she's cute." He says honestly.

I look down at my hands. "Maybe I do, its hard to admit. Is it weird?" I say looking at Marshall. His eyes glowing.

"No, dad. Mom's probably seeing other people so you should too, and cookie girl seems really nice and good." He tells me without looking away from the cartoons.

I laugh at the fact he's still calling her cookie girl. "Her name is Junie." I tell him.

"Junie." He tries it on. "See, she's even got a cool name." He points out.

"That she does." I say sipping my wine. "Homework done?" I ask checking the clock on the wall.

"Yup." He tells me.

"Alright, last show then teeth brushed and bed time." I order.

We're sitting in bed, Marshall all in his matching pajamas and teeth all brushed, we usually read a book but tonight Marshall said he doesn't want to.

"So, is mom still coming this weekend?" He asks nervously, I think he thinks that if he talks about his mom that I'd get mad. I get mad when Brittany says she's coming into town and then doesn't show up after Marshall's hopes get lifted.

"I think so, I haven't gotten a call from her, I'll call tomorrow to confirm. I think she was wanting to take you to the zoo." I tell him with a light smile knowing the zoo is his favorite thing to do.

"Really?!" He says excited. "I really hope she comes."

"Me too, buddy. Now get some sleep, you got school tomorrow." I kiss his forehead and shut down the lights. "Love you."

"Love you dad." And I close the door, and walk down to my office.

This whole night Juniper has been sitting at the far back of my mind, her story, her face when somebody called her - the fear and torment. She's hiding something but why wouldn't she tell me after she told me everything about her husband? I just don't get this girl and the more I see her the more I want to know about her. She's a walking mystery, but its not just that, she walks beauty, she's caring, her smile lights up the room, her aura is kindness and happiness its hard not to be around her. Every guy in my building knows her, sees her wants to make themselves known, but she doesn't bat an eye but when she does I lose all my humanity and march right up to them. I want to know more, I want to be more, I want to see what her lips taste like, what makes her laugh the hardest, I want to give her everything - but I can't. I have a messed up previous marriage, a child with her and a family out to ruin everything. I can't bring her into this, I should take a month off work and travel with Marsh, but I don't want to leave her.

I'm sitting back in my chair lost in a world of thought when my phone comes to life with the topic of the evening. I roll my eyes and expect the worst of this phone call.

I let it ring a few more times before picking it up. "Brittany." I say.

"Hello, Aiden. How's Marshall?" Her high pitched familiar voice purrs.

"He's good, he's really excited to see you, please tell me you're still coming?" I pray.

"Yes, I'll be in Portland for a month, taking a break to see my boys." She says breathlessly, I do wonder if she gets tired of talking like that.

"Hmm, where you staying?" I ask.

"The Radisson." Her voice sounds far away. "I'll pick Marshall up Saturday, yes? And he can stay until Monday?"

"I'll talk with Marsh about it and see what he says." I tell her.

"He's my son, Aiden." Her voice rough.

"He's our son, and based on the papers you signed in court, I have full custody, therefore I will ask Marshall in the morning and call you, I don't see a problem, he's really excited to spend time with you." I tell her honestly.

I her her hum on the other end. "Fine." And she clicks to hang up.

I release a breath and rub a hand over my face.

I switch on my computer and go through the contracts from today, signing off and or sending them away. It's about midnight when everything is clear form my inbox and I roll away from the office and into the shower.