Chapter 17

Part 3

*Note: This chapter is unedited.

Adira laughed with the rest of them at the huge dining table where they ate. The table and the rest of the large furniture had been delivered almost an hour before, when Adira and Alex had been upstairs. Adira looked around at her hospital family and smiled to herself. Maybe she wasn’t completely alone. Maybe she did not have a husband but she did have a family.

The door opened, letting in the brisk wind. Derek’s smiling face appeared and his eyes looked on Meredith’s face first then they found Adira’s. He noticed how sad they were, but he didn’t let his smile falter. He walked towards the table and wrapped his arms around Meredith. She turned in kissed him and he smiled even brighter. Derek moved back to the counter to grab a beer out of the fridge then returned to the table. Meredith stood and let Derek sit down in her chair, she sat herself on his lap. “What did I miss?”

“We set up the beds, mostly. They took a while,” admitted Alex.

“And, guess what!” Laughed Bailey. “Webber and I bet Christina and your wife!”

Derek raised his eyebrows, “Oh, is that so?”

Webber laughed. “Yes, we set up the baby crib twice as fast as they did.”

“In my defense, Christina didn’t do anything!” She cried in defense. “She just drank her stupid flask and read the directions—out of order!”

“How are you a surgeon?” asked Alex as he took another bite of his pizza.

Christina threw a grape at him. “Shut up, Evil Spawn.”

He shot one of the assorted nuts from the glass bowls on the table. “Do not insult me. It is Doctor Evil Spawn to you.”

Christina laughed, “In your dreams.”

Bailey laughed. “You’re just upset you lost!” Bailey high fived Webber. “She does have feelings! I called it.”

Webber rolled his eyes and pulled out his wallet. He leafed through it and found a twenty. He gave it to Bailey as Christina leaned forward. “You made bets on if I had feelings?”

Bailey smirked wickedly. “One of many bets.” She pointed at Christina. “I bet you had feelings. Webber bet against me. I bet Meredith would have the first kid, but I was wrong. Torres did, Webber won.” She pointed at Robbins. “I thought you would get married, Webber thought you would never settle. He won.” She pointed at Derek. “I thought you would marry Meredith, Webber thought you would go back to Addie. I won, two hundred bucks actually.” She pointed to Owen, “I thought you would step down as Chief, Webber won that one.” She pointed at Adira, “I knew you would come back, Webber thought you wouldn’t.” She pointed at Meredith, “I thought you would stay general, Webber didn’t. I won.” She pointed at Alex, “I thought you would make it to solo surgery first, I was wrong. Webber one hundred bucks off that.” Bailey pointed at Christina. “I thought you would cut off Burke sooner, but Webber won that one. You got down the aisle.”

Christina feel back against the back of her chair. “So,” she urged. “What’s the score?”

Bailey raised an eyebrow. “The score?” She replied.

“The score,” confirmed Christina. “There must be a running bet.”

“There are many bets in the works, if that’s what you mean.”

“No,” smirked Webber. “She means whose winning. The standing score is, completing that bet, Bailey 55 and myself 57.”

Bailey dropped her mouth, “Did you count Jo’s bet?”