Chapter 43

Adira couldn't speak, she was too busy talking her mother in. She hadn't seen her since she had left for college. Adira remembered sending her an invite when she had married Derrel, but her mother was a no show. She took in her mother as fast as she could: the white hair, riddled with black that matched her own, that was up in a bun; a simple black long sleeve, a white stone necklace, black jeans, black gladiator sandals; dark mossy eyes, thick black eyeliner, a pointed nose; and, a small smile that had it's bottom lipped trapped under her teeth. "Well, thank you for coming," started Matt as he reached out his hand. "Myself and my beautiful wife," he gently shook his arm that held Adira, jousting her from her stupor. "Are happy to have you."

"Thank you for joining us," added Adira numbly.

They finished greeting everyone before heading out to pictures; the reception was set for an hour and a half from now at a fancy, upscale bar with an attached dance floor and ballroom. Adira enjoyed pictures for the sheer fact that he was whispering dirty, hilarious things in her ear along with precious I love yous and heart warming you're beautifuls. They headed to the reception and were greeted warmly by the small crowd -- Adira and Matt had only decided on about two hundred and fifty guests with the majority being her college basketball teammates, a small part of the hospital staff, a part of Adira's old police unit and detective staff, along with his SWAT buddies. They did a toast to thank everyone to coming before starting to mingle. Adira and Matt had decided a never ending flow of appetizers, being served every forty-five minutes with an open bar consisting of champagne, white and red wine, but any hard alcohol over one glass had to be bought.

Adira and Matt split, coming together for kisses at every clang of the glass, but mingled with their friends and family. Adira found herself at a table with her mother and a few other guests she didn't know. Matt soon came swooping in, for a kiss, and stayed when he saw Adira's mother. "I would like to meet my grandchildren," stated Brooklyn.

"No," shot back Adira firmly.

Matt gently grabbed her hand, leaning her strength and trying to calm her down, but Adira shook him off. "You were an addict," she hissed softly, "An alcoholic. You left me with abusive men more than once. You couldn't pay the bills. You still can't pay the bills, because I pay the bills. I manage your addiction. I manage your house fro hundreds of thousands of miles away --not you!"

"I have a job," she replied, turning to face Adira from her chair. "I tried to pa the bills a few years back, but the bank told me it was nonnegotiable that my bills were paid. I always you had a hold on the bills, but that confirmed it. Adira Xavier had a nice ring to it. I have saved almost every penny to pay you back. The few I spent were spent on chocolate and coffee." Brooklyn chuckled.

"This is not funny, Brooklyn." The smile on her smooth face disappeared as Adira referenced her as Brooklyn and not Mother.

"I know, dear, but I traveled a long way to get here and I paid for it with my own money. That is important to me. I am trying, Adira. Why can't you see that?"

"The answer is no, Brooklyn. You can see and observe from a far, but do not go near them or I will kick you out. Do not talk to them."

Matt led Adira away, ending the conversion before it got even more out of hand. She kissed him before whispering, "I need to use the bathroom."

"Are you okay?" questioning Matt, trapping her against him with his strong arm, his blue eyes searching hers.

She forced a small smile. "Promise me you will have a full glass of champagne and a piece of that funfetti cake on my plate when I return."

His face lit up. "Not that, that is my ball field. That is one of the very many things I promise you on this very special day."

Adira escaped to the bathroom but didn't go inside. She slipped down the hallway next to it; her back hit the wall and slid down, gently pressing her head back into the wall. "You're going to ruin your beautiful hair and that would be a shame," commented Meredith as she sat down across from Adira. "You are a beautiful bride; far too beautiful to be sitting in a hallway with tears in your make-up coated eyes."