Chapter 21

Adira knew she was driving over the speed limit and she didn't care. She raced to the McDonalds were Makenna was at—she had already had a close range police station dispatch units. They had picked Makenna up and were meeting her halfway. This raised another question in Adira's head: How did Lizzy get all the way to Seattle Grace-Mercy West?

Adira pushed the thought from her head—right now all that mattered was keeping Makenna safe. Her phone vibrated in her pocket and Owen's smiling face flashed across her screen. The picture was one that Derek had snapped one night at in the hospital. Owen had been lying in her bed and Adira was snuggled into her side. He was smiling with his eyes looking at the ceiling. She answered: "Where the hell are you?" He screamed into the phone.

"They were chasing Makenna. I need to get her. Someone knows they were with police." She heard Owen's breath catch in his throat. "She is in police custody at the moment. I am on my way to meet them as we speak. Any news on Lizzy?"

"None. No family. No nothing."

"She does. I have her real identity with me, but we can't contact her family till it's safe. Owen, something is wrong. Someone knows. Makenna has been my informant for almost three years."

"The Lost Souls," he whispered.

"Do not leave Lizzy alone, do you hear me?!"

"Yes, Adira," he took a deep breath. "Make sure you stay safe."

Adira hung up upon seeing the police cruiser down the road. She opened her window and waved them down. They pulled into a nearby café parking lot and Adira followed suit. She didn't even turn off her car before leaping out, pulling out her badge from her back pocket. She tossed it at the nearest officer and sprinted, wrapping Makenna up in her arms. She had gotten fairly attached to Makenna—she had always made sure she had money for food and a safe place to stay. She had even offered to get her away, send her out of state, give her a new life, but Makenna had always shut her down, saying it was the life she had made and she would handle it. "Adira, what is going on?" whispered Makenna. "Do they have Lizzy?"

"Had," corrected, "I have Lizzy now. She's barely holding in there, we'll go to her now. Go get in my car."

Makenna followed instructions and Adira marched over to the pair of officers. She thanked them and accepted her bag back. "We have three officers in pursuit of the men following her." She nodded.

"Any new information, contact me directly." She tugged one of her cards out from the case of her phones; she always kept a few on her. "Cell phone, please. I will be taking her from here. You are free to go." They nodded and Adira turned back to her car. She opened the door and looked back at the men. "Thank you."

They nodded and she got in her car. Immediately throwing it in reverse and pulling back onto the almost empty highway. It was almost seven at night. She checked her phone, no missed calls but a text from none other than Derek Shepherd himself. It read: "The twins are with Autumn. Spring is on her way to pick up the others."

Adira handed her phone to Makenna. "Reply back, on our way home. Tell Hunt." Makenna did as told then put Adira's phone in the empty cup holder. Adira noticed she was shivering and quickly looked her over, before turning her eyes back to the road. Makenna was wearing a sheer lace top, completely see through, showing the black lace bra beneath and a pair of jean booty shorts with high heels. "You ran in those?" questioned Adira with a shake of her head.

"Desperate times call for desperate measures," hissed Makenna.

"You okay?" questioned Adira, worried.

"Just out of breath. My body got quite the...workout. A rough one at that."

"Are you okay?" repeated Adira.

Makenna nodded, "Worried, but okay."

They sat in silence till they were only a couple of miles away from the hospital. "Once we park, I am going to give you my shirt. I have a solid bra on under. I am also going to give you a pair of sweats in the back of my car." Makenna nodded, clutching her black purse close to her chest.

"Adira, is Lizzy okay?"

"We'll see when we get there."

Adira threw the car into park and jumped out of the car. She stripped off her grey V-neck and handed it to Makenna. She slipped it on over her top and Adira went through the trunk till she found a pair of sweats. Adira looked up to see Owen helping Makenna out of the front seat. She tossed him the pair of sweats, he caught them one handed, and gave them to Makenna. Then, he unbuttoned his black button up that he had worn to the twins' game that afternoon and threw it at Adira. She slipped it on, only caring enough to button up a few buttons. She slammed the trunk closed and went back to the front seat, stuffing her weapon in the back waist band of her jeans, her badge in one back pocket, and her cell phone in the other. They entered the hospital.

They went to Lizzy's room and Makenna rushed to the girl's side. Owen looked at Adira as Makenna looked back at Adira. "Don't worry about us, for a few minutes," whispered Makenna. "Go kiss your husband and catch up."

Owen sighed and looked at Adira. He say the tears well up in her eyes before she slammed her mouth to his. She grabbed his hand and pulled him out of the room. They went into the hallway to see Amelia and Derek standing there. Tears streamed out of Amelia's eyes faster than Adira thought possible and Derek's jaw dropped. Adira watched as Derek's arm raised to clock Owen, but Adira was faster. She rushed forward and grabbed his fist as Owen rushed to catch Amelia, who had ran away. "What. The. F**king. Hell," hissed Derek.

"Let me explain, before you start cussing me out like that. She thinks Owen is my husband." Derek glared at her. "Seriously, Derek, he would never do that to Amelia. She's your sister but he does really like her. You know when I went under to go talk to some informants? That girl in there, Lizzy, was beat up and Owen came and sowed her up because she couldn't go to a hospital." He shoved a file folder at her.

"Your drug test results."

"Derek!" She called after him as he turned and marched away.

"Oh, I believe you!" He called over his shoulder. "But, I know Amelia and she won't believe Hunt!" He took off running and Adira opened the file folder. She looked down and sucked in a spark breath as her eyes dropped to the bottom of the page.

POSTIVE: Methamphetamine.

"Damnit," hissed Adira. "Who knows what's in her system."