Chapter 35

Adira turned on her phone. She still had almost an hour before she had to pick up the older boys. She pulled up Matt's contact and sighed but she knew the call or text she was waiting for wasn't coming. He probably had plans at the hospital or with Amelia. Adira dialed. "'Ello," was his greeting.

"Hey, what--" she stopped. "What is that noise?"

"I am in the back of a van. That was a gun. We are heading out on a raid right now. What's up?"

"Well, I am child free tonight, and I was wonderi—"

"Yes," started Matt. "Yes. Yes. Yes. I take it you got the roses I sent. I was so afraid I had the wrong address. You know how we had lunches today? I totally finished the paperwork, but I needed to find your address." Adira laughed. "But, I decided to go somewhat classy so I'll pick you up at seven. Yeah, I should be done by then."

"Okay. And, since you know my address, we should be set. Ah," Adira had long forgotten what dating a stranger was like. "What should I wear? Do I need to—"

"Dress for the weather, but nice. A little nicer than this morning. How does that sound?" his voice was loud in her ear, but the background noise was getting louder and louder.

"Good. So, seven?" She wanted to double check, just to be sure.

Matt laughed into the phone. "I'll text you when I leave my condo. Okay, I got to go, we're almost there. See you tonight."

"Bye, Matt," she whispered.

Adira hung up the phone and she sighed; she was feeling something she hadn't expected–excitement.

...

Adira picked up the boys and returned home. "Okay," she started as she ushered everyone inside. "You need to go put together three outfits with one set of pajamas and lay them on your bed. You're staying at your grandparent's house for the weekend!" The children cheered. "Candy and grandpa will be picking you up before dinner."

The boys raced upstairs and Adira smiled when she saw that James pulled ahead at the last moment and won. He wasn't as strong as his older brothers but he was fast, if not faster than both of them. Adira thought he would be a great point guard, whereas the twins were large shooting guards or small posts. She was so proud of her kids.

A sing-song voice drew her out of her stupor. "We're here!" sang Candy. "We're early, but we're here!" Adira smiled, of course they were almost an hour early. "Roses!" Adira watched Candy read Derrel's card, fighting tears then Matt's. Candy gasped, "Would this be your fabulous red-haired handsome devil?"

Adira shook her head. "No. That is Owen. This is Matt. Owen...Owen had a girlfriend," she shrugged and tried to nonchalantly bring up Matt. "I can't join you for dinner because I have plans with Matt. We are going out to dinner."

"Where?"

"I," Adira laughed. "I don't know."

"Are you excited for your date?" questioned Candy's husband. Adira frowned and looked down. "It's a good thing," he whispered as he wrapped his arms tightly around her. "A very good thing. We are excited for you. If he stays, can we go out for dinner one night?"

"If he stays," replied Adira, returning the hug. "Only if he stays."

...

Adira looked at herself in the mirror and frowned. She was dressed in a long, semi-fitted, black and white, Aztec, maxi skirt paired with a white long sleeve. She pulled on her black leather jacket that she hadn't worn in ages. She felt sexy and she felt good, but something felt wrong. Adira glanced back at picture of her husband and sighed. "How do I look, Derrel?" she whispered. She ran her fingers across their wedding picture. "Not as good as I did on our day, but I still look damn fine, don't I?"