XXXV

"Too shy to say, but I hope you stay."

- Billie Eilish

CHAPTER FOUR

PAGE TWO

The sun was shining and the birds were singing as they all busied themselves with refurbishing the house.

The hard work was paying off and Clementine felt as though it could be ready in time for winter's arrival.

It was a worry in the back of her mind, while it was a scorcher now the months never fail to fly by quickly and in no time her beloved boys would be leaving and the cold weather will return.

The boys leaving.

Something she truly didn't want to think about. Despite their unusual habits, she had developed a soft spot for every single one of them and thinking about the house without them left an ache in her chest. It would be quiet.

Very quiet.

At this moment in time, however, the music was blaring, birds were singing and the smell of paint was in the air.

Paint gives off such a strong fume that every door and window had to be left ajar allowing for the seeds of daffodils to breeze through. This of course infuriated Jamie as he desperately attempted to stop them from landing in the drying paint.

Clementine was waiting for her shopping buddy to find where he left a pair of sunglasses so they could head into town to get some fabric to prevent the paint being obstructed.

"Found the little bitches!" called Wren from a far away distance and before long he came bounding into view.

"Right let's go! What're you waiting for? Get moving lady!" He rushed out as he passed Clementine' still figure.

In no time at all they were in her Beetle with the roof down and rock hits playing. The entire journey Wren drummed along to the tune of every song with his fingers on the dash.

"It's not long now until you leave, how do you plan on getting home?" she questioned as his drumming came to a halt.

"Nothing's been decided yet, we will need to wait and get our phones back once our sentence has been completed."

"It shouldn't take us long after that though, maybe a week tops" he continued

"Oh no! please don't feel as though I'm rushing you all out!" she fretted,

"I'll be sad to see you go."

There was a break in conversation, both individuals in thought.

"Don't miss us too much, I promise to come and visit."

Wren's upbeat response swept away Clementine's lonely thoughts and replaced them with thoughts on how she could surprise them with progress on their visit back.

Barb's Furnishing's Ltd. Sat at the very back of the industrial yard just outside of Doonswater. It shined bright compared to the other buildings, quite literally. With its large windows spread over both its floors and just about every lampshade on display with a bulb glowing away at its centre. It'd cost a fortune to run but it was the best home store within a twenty mile radius and everyone in each of the small towns and villages of the area knew that allowing for business to boom and more jobs to be available. It had just went through its third expansion, for a business that began locally it was a big deal.

Wren behaved in his usual childlike ways, Clementine had come to realise he acted joyful a little too often for it to truly be natural. When he wasn't being his chirpy self he'd seem as though a cloud of gloom was hanging over him. Maybe, his humorous attitude was an act but what he was covering, Clementine wasn't going to pester.

Instead she joined him, they wandered the aisles scouring for discount signs pointing out the most absurd decorations and trying out every mattress and loveseat they came across. The pair were like a comedy duo practicing for their upcoming gig.

Before long they found some bedding and mattress covers for sale they grabbed a couple and headed home.

With the use of some trusty tape each piece of bedding covered the windows and doors allowing for air to circulate and the painting to continue with ease.

By sundown three rooms were left unpainted and Clementine had picked out the shade of paint for the exterior.