XXXVI

"She's going to smile to make you frown"

- Nico and The Velvet Underground

CHAPTER FOUR

PAGE THREE

"Alex! Don't shake the ladder!" Clementine squealed.

Her heart raced and her knuckles were white as she held tightly to the ladder as Alexander chuckled.

"I'll fall!" She shouted, her voice reaching an octave higher than normal.

"and I'll catch you princess"

That made her heart speed up but as she looked down all she could see was his big smile as he gazed up at her. Her mind raced trying desperately to think of a reply that would catch his as off guard as he had her but alas nothing came to mind.

"Just pass me the damn paint" She sighed.

One of these days she'll get him back, she could be charming too. Maybe it was wrong to convince herself of such things and maybe it was worse how much his words stayed on her mind. He never once made her uncomfortable, just shy. Maybe a little breathless too.

Just like that she was once again distracted by him, she was supposed to be painting the windows after spending two very sweaty days sanding each one down and filling in the cracks.

Accompanied by Alexander's conversation it was enjoyable. They talked about books, history and a little flirting. He hadn't kissed her again and it made her wonder if anything could happen between the two. Her brain said no and her heart said yes.

So for now she painted, trying desperately to ignore his charm and indulge in his knowledge instead. She had a close group of friends she once had intellectual discussions with but each had gone off to the cities to further their education, gain employment or simply to travel. She missed them dearly but never once regretted her decision to return to Doonswater and live out her childhood dreams. One day her old friends will visit and she could show them her little sanctuary.

The paint was turning gloopy with the heat and realising this she claimed down the ladder and decided to grab an ice cold refreshment while her paint sat in the shade. Alexander joined her and the pair sat in silence. Her mind continued to buzz, she was desperate to just ask him, what was happening. Was it just a little flirting? Or could there be more? If she received a negative answer it'd allow her mind to calm and if she received a positive one, well then another talk would need to happen. All this confusion was draining, she lay awake at night, a little later than normal, with questions roaming her mind and then in the morning she'd have forgotten for the few seconds until her eyes land on him and again the thoughts return.

She wasn't going to ask, not now. It seemed like a dead end. He was leaving soon, she had to remember that.

With a smile in his direction she questioned if he was ready to continue painting and with his agreement they both set off back outside.

Jamie had noticed Clementine's behaviour, although she wasn't obvious her body language had been off the last few days. She had seemed flighty reminding him of her behaviour those first few weeks here. He swore to keep an eye out for her although could not come up with some kind of reasoning for it. Everything was progressing and the past few months seemed to fly by for the him and the boys.

He had expected something much worse for them to spend the last year of their sentence. Instead it had been filled with laughter and care. The work didn't seem as tough with how well they had been treated. For that Clementine had a soft spot in his heart. She had treated them like family and his respect for her was solidified by her continual graciousness. She looked fragile but he could tell she was tough. He wanted to know more about her but apart from their limited knowledge of her family situation she very rarely opened up to them.

She had caught his attention though and he was desperate to know more of what lay under her surface. As he fixed the last few jobs on the staircase he felt saddened at the thought of leaving the complex woman behind in the coming weeks.