XVI

"I'm in love with my sadness"

CHAPTER TWO

PAGE SEVEN

The sunrise was beautiful and as Clementine sat on the broken stairs to her home she began to cry.

After everything life had thrown rather harshly her way here she is, sitting at Doonswater Mansion, owning it, renewing it and living a dream that felt so far from her grip.

What could she have done without her gran, although she was crazy no one has ever loved her as much as her gran and it would be surprising if anyone else ever could.

And for that she cried both happy and sad tears.

Jamie had awoken to the sun in his eyes and left the old uncomfortable car to stretch when he noticed Clementine.

It wasn't obvious she had been crying but the sunlight reflected against the stream her tears had left behind.

Half not knowing and half not caring his first reflex was to just leave her alone, but after thinking it through he headed towards the little lady sitting next to her on the broken steps.

"It's a bright morning"

"Yeah, I like it, everywhere I look everything is so pretty even though it's overgrown"

"Cute mess?"

"Yeah it's a cute mess"

Clementine never replied after that and the pair just sat watching and listening to the birds and water.

"Want some coffee?"

"Yeah sure"

They stood up and got the little camping stove set up and began heating some water.

"Thank you"

Jamie was genuinely surprised at her gratitude for something he didn't know of.

"For what?"

"Nothing"

Pretending not to be confused he shrugged it off and continued to get some coffee ready to make sure they were energised for the day ahead and what it was to bring.