Chapter 1

"No, seriously, who does that?" I complained as Henry and I walked out of the University building, where we just have finished hearing a very dull and boring presentation on how the ancient civilizations used to communicate with each other. To be honest, I like this class but what I truly do not like is the professor who taught it back in High School. A right asshole he was. Every time I passed him on the hallways an urge to kick his shin was washing over me but then BAM! My brother's voice was inside my head 'For real Amy, just don't mind the guy. I know he is an asshole but assholes exist everywhere. I am not sure you would be able to kick all the assholes that exist.' That's when he received a strong kick at his shin, but that is a story for another time.

"I think he smokes weed," Henry said with a somewhat unreadable expression on his face. He always wore that face but likely I am used to it. The fact that I have been watching it since I was in kindergarten might have something to do with it. Henry Black. That's my best friend. We've been friends since we can remember. He is THE guy. He is somewhat weird but he is a great guy and friend. He is funny. Sometimes. He always seems to be in his own little world where whiskey is the main source of nutrients and morals are not a thing. Honestly, he is one of the coolest guys ever. Or, more accurately, he has manipulated me into saying that. But apart from jokes, he has saved my life, quite literally. Not my fault people! He had the idea to see who can cross the railroad without getting hit by the train. We like getting into trouble. Or, if we were to choose honesty, troubles like to get us involved with their business.

"Really, Henry?" I asked with arched eyebrows. "For you everyone is smoking weed. Probably even have their own pot in their dorms." I continued with a looped grin as the sun fell right on my face.

"Not true!" He protested, turning to face me as we were walking down the muddy fields of the campus. "If they had a pot in their dorms I would have known. I mean- I know all the gossip of the ruddy University, that wouldn't have been a problem for me. Plus, today is the first day of this thing and I already know who has shugged with whom. You see that brunette over there?" He asked me, pointing at a brunette girl who was sitting on a wooden bench with a boy.

"Yea, what about her?" I asked, the curiosity growing on me. Henry and I were always told not to be getting into other people's business. And we truly didn't. It's just that when you are the sarcastic kid that is actually unproblematic and everyone likes but they secretly don't like anyone apart from a very limited circle of people, you catch on things that you would wish you wouldn't have. Yet, Henry and I have learned to use this privilege to our own benefit. I swear we could have ruined so many friendships with everything that we know but we choose to use it wisely and save it for when it is really needed.

"She is a lesbian." He said casually while getting his glasses off, wiping them on his button-up shirt. That guy could actually fire a hazardous rocket and then come back home all casual and just put his pajamas on and play Scramble with me. Most of the time he looks like he is so done with everyone's shit. I can't blame him, to be honest. But at the specific moment, I couldn't really understand if he was being serious or was just messing with me given that the girl was making out quite passionately with the guy.

"I think she is bi," I commented. I mean, sure, she could like both girls and boys. Henry one time made out with a guy back in high school at a party but then proceeded to throw up for all the next morning. Turns out he had drunk a generous amount of alcohol while I was out with my back then date, Leon, the bloody bastard. Our mothers were pissed at us for getting that drunk and, of course, my brother gave us another one of his lectures on responsibility. "I mean she is practically all over that guy."

"That guy, honey, is Caden Summer. He has quite an amount of money. Of course, ninety-nine percent of those are illegal. I heard my dad talking about this once. He said he made that big withdrawal from the bank and that was when Caden was left without a dad. Or at least a dad at this continent." Henry explained looking down at me from behind his spectacles with his green eyes.