King & Queen Checkmates

(A/n: TW: I hate this chapter. Warning you before your read.)

∞ ϟ 9¾ ♔ ⚯ ➵ ♆

"Hermione was telling me that Harry found a place for our first defense meeting and since Quidditch practice is canceled we are having it tonight." Dean mutters, with a sausage in his mouth.

"Brillant, more time to spend with him," I scoff with my head down. I poke at my mash, gulping down my favorite: pumpkin juice. I wasn't thrilled to spend more time with him because each aching moment I would be near him during Quidditch or class I would have a small bubble of hope that he would talk to me, but that hasn't happened; even if it was just a silly taunt.

Most of the day was free due to the gruesome weather conditions. Dean, Seamus, and I sat in the common room either getting a head start in homework, playing Exploding Snap, or chess. I finally admit defeat from Dean at chess.

"I hate you," I mutter.

"I love you," Dean laughs. At this time, Harry, Ron, and Hermione were walking from upstairs to the common room door. Harry lifts his head at Dean's "love" statement, but still doesn't look at me he narrows his eyes at Dean.

"Come on Everly, I taught you better," Ron says, pointing to the chess board.

"I gave up! He checkmated my king while the queen was at the opposite side."

"Well, you need the king and queen together to win!" Ron exaggerates.

"Even in real life," Hermione comments looking up from a parchment she was holding.

"Yeah, whatever."

"We have our first meeting come on," Ron says. Dean and I bid Seamus an excuse so we could sneak and attend the meeting while he slept. We quietly followed the trio outside the door. Harry used the Marauders map to see where everyone is. Once we reached the right floor Harry said, "Dobby said to walk past this bit of wall three times, concentrating hard on what we need."

Ron had screwed up his eyes in concentration, Hermione was whispering something under her breath, Harry's fists were clenched as he stared ahead of him. A highly polished door had appeared in the wall.

"Whoa," I said.

Harry reached out, seized the brass handle, pulled open the door, and led the way into a spacious room lit with flickering torches like those that illuminated the dungeons eight floors below.

The walls were lined with wooden bookcases, and instead of chairs there were large silk cushions on the floor. A set of shelves at the far end of the room carried a range of instruments such as Sneakoscope, Secrecy Sensors, and a large, cracked Foe-Glass. We walked around amazed at the cool objects scattered. Hermione took the nearest book and began to read as people slowly started to appear through the door.

By the time eight o'clock arrived, every cushion was occupied. Harry moved across to the door and turned the key protruding from the lock; it clicked in a satisfyingly loud way and everybody fell silent, looking at him.

"Well," said Harry, slightly nervously. "This is the place we've found for practices, and you've — er — obviously found it okay —"

"It's fantastic!" said Cho, and several people murmured their agreement.

"It's bizarre," said Fred, frowning around at it. "We once hid from Filch in here, remember, George? But it was just a broom cupboard then. . . ."

"Hey, Harry, what's this stuff?" asked Dean from the rear of the room, indicating the Sneakoscopes and the Foe-Glass.