〈 chapter 1 〉

✦┈⋆┈⋆┈ ⋞ 〈 1 〉 ⋟ ┈⋆┈⋆┈✦

IT was quiet, the only sound coming from the scuttling rats, and the odd cat slinking through the bushes and walking along the fences.

She was standing in the middle of a lonely road, not knowing where she was and why she was here.

She was not sure what she expected in lurking in such a place. She observed it was a forest area with tall trees, which blocked the moon and its stars. The sounds were slowly dying, the atmosphere became cold, a disgusting rotten smell roamed through the air.

A street lamp flickered, leaving a dark shadow jumping from one tree to another. She stared at lamp pleading to work, but the flickering lamp exploded. She ran towards another lamp hoping it would give light, but it exploded too. She quickened her pace moving towards the working lamps, one by one all the lamps started exploding.

Out of the corner of her eyes, She could catch the glimpses of misshapen figure crouching there in the pitch black, waiting for the moment bursting forth and pouncing on her. Then, in that silent isolated area, It would begin tearing her and rendering her and doing unspeakable things to her and nobody would ever find her.

Eyes snap open, Maryam is covered in a cold sweat, shaking, heart pounding, looking around the room suspicious and paranoid that the horror may have followed them here, she gets up cautiously, shivering, she rubs her head and eyes and tries to fully awaken. Stumbles to the bathroom, looks in the mirror slowly, cautiously, as if not sure of what she'll see. The sun still didn't rise,but washed away the vestiges of the horror, leaving the victim relieved to return to their mundane existence. She starts brushing teeth, sees a shadow move behind her in the mirror - jumps. She shook her head throwing all the fear and did her ablution...

Soon the wounds given by darkness started to heal by light as the sun slightly rose reminding the world to shimmer up their darkening souls and return to their lord...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"How is it going, Maryam?" A voice broke her attempt to regain her concentration. She turned around to look at her aunt, coming with a tray of milk.

Maryam nodded in response, with an anxiety crippling inside her every time someone questioned how it was going.

"Here, drink this milk; don't stress too much; it'll be fine." Her aunt assured her with a smile.

Maryam took the glass, knowing refusing it would cause a conversation, and she didn't want it. She waited for her aunt to go so that she could feed the milk to her echeveria plant

"I'm not going anywhere until you drink it. " Najma said, folding her arms around her chest.

"Khala, please. I'm not feeling well, " Maryam pleaded, giving her cute blue puppy eyes.