Chapter 3 - Whispering of the Woods

The path they were going through was as smooth as a dirt path could be, and Y/n only realized she was barefoot when she accidentally stepped on a rock. From the trees, she could see many sunsettia fruit hanging from the branches. The fruit was beautiful, and she supposed they were named sunsettia because of the gradual shift in color from a yellow to warm orange. Much like the sky during sunset. And she found that they don't sparkle anymore, which really gives her a quick reality check. Furthermore, she found it truly fascinating that the shape of a sunsettia fruit greatly resembles the rose apple fruit back in her world, and she wonders if they tasted as good as they appear. If she were to think further, the sunsettia fruit appeared to have been inspired by the rose apple fruit and a pomegranate, but she may be overthinking things.

As they approached the rock that she remembered they had to climb over during the game tutorial, she was pleasantly surprised to find that even though the climb was not as easy as it looked like in the game, it was still relatively easier than she expected. They soon came upon a cliff that oversaw Mondstadt and its surrounding areas, and her eyes widened with awe as they stopped near the edge of it.

"It's so beautiful," she breathed out, mesmerized. Truly, the game animation did the view no justice.

From where she stood, she could see the tall walls of Mondstadt, standing proudly in the distance, the towers of the Cathedral reaching up to the sky. The winds blew through the trees gently, ruffling its leaves and creating calming music to her ears. Stray leaves twirled in the air, portraying their acrobatics before they fluttered to the ground, weaving past the flying birds. The nearest Statue of The Seven stood upon them in its glory on a small island in the middle of Starfell Lake. The trees and greenery looked lush, brighter than she had ever seen in the game even when she used the highest resolution (and proceeded to have everything lag so badly, she returned it to a low resolution).

Aether's reaction was not much different from hers as he, too, took in the view. But if he glanced at the woman beside him and thought that her smile looked better than any view, well, that was his business. And if he turned into a blushing red, that was his business, too. He was lucky that Paimon was too busy telling them about the Statue to notice.

"That's a Statue of The Seven," she said, gesturing at the glowing statue. "There are a few of these statues scattered across Teyvat to show The Seven's protection over the world."

The blond had only let out an absentminded hum.

Unbothered, Paimon continued to explain. "Among the seven Archons, this Archon controls the wind. Paimon's not sure whether the god you are looking for is the Anemo Archon, but... Paimon will take you to the Anemo Archon's city first."

As Paimon flew ahead to lead them towards the statue, Aether and Y/n shared a look before following the floating being. They walked leisurely, and the blond glanced at the girl beside him before looking forward again.

"Um, Y/n?" he asked, voice thick with thought. "How did you end up here? Ah, if you don't mind telling me, that is!"

Y/n shot him a smile and shook her head.

"I don't mind telling you," she said with a hum as she tried to bring together an answer.

"Honestly, I am not sure myself. All that I know was that I fell asleep in my world and a voice in my head. The voice said something about how it was time for me to return to Teyvat...?" she fell silent for a moment before a smile lit her lips once more. "I suppose I will find my purpose here somewhere along the way."

The blond traveler stared at the h/c-haired girl, his brows furrowed. Both their situations heavily contrasted, huh? He was stuck in Teyvat because of an unknown Archon, one who had taken his sister. His presence there holds meaning since he had a purpose to fulfill; to find his sister and find a way back home. On the other hand, Y/n's situation was filled with questions and mystery since it was unclear what her purpose there was for and who the being that even brought her there was. She was just... there. Aimlessly floating in the wind.