Chapter 17 - Red Crystal

Y/n was definitely not expecting to meet Albedo at Windrise, nor did she expect for him to see her chomp on a mint flower like a heathen. She should at least feel embarrassed or mortified, but what little dignity she had already distinguished back on earth anyway. Medical school did a number on her. She does not have time to overthink such trivial matters.

It was rather surprising that she encountered Albedo so early into the story, but she should really get used to the reality that things would no longer be straightforward like the game storyline. This was no longer a programmed algorithm. She should no longer be surprised there are deviations in the story. It had happened before so it should and will happen again.

She already met Dain, after all. She will probably meet several other characters before their formal introduction again.

Albedo's footsteps were light and careful, so she only heard his footsteps once she had taken a bite of the mint. Maybe it was because she was too focused on finding out more about the plant.

Well, either way, at least she met the handsome alchemist. He looked just as he does in the trailer, perhaps even better. His hair looks soft, fluffy, and full, unlike that he had with his playable character design. Mihoyo really did not do several characters justice. Such a shame.

As she neared the bridge, she spotted a head of blond hair and a floating girl, and she called out to them with a smile.

"Aether!"

And in response, he gave her a brilliant smile.

"Y/n!"

Her smile widened as she hurried towards them.

"Hey, why does Paimon never get greeted?!" the fairy complained, pouting once Y/n reached them.

Y/n tilted her head at the fairy and blinked.

"But you don't really greet me, too?" she asked, confused.

Paimon spluttered and then huffed when Y/n just continued to just stare at her. What the fairy failed to see was the twinkle of mischief in her e/c eyes.

"HELLO, Y/N! There! Now, where is Paimon's greeting?!" the fairy pouted.

Y/n blinked once more before laughing, shaking her head as she reached forward to ruffle the fairy's hair.

"Hello, Paimon. How did your and Aether's commissions go?" she asked with a smile, walking alongside the two across the bridge.

"Draff was being weird!" Paimon complained, immediately energetic. "He told us to shoo away the pigeons, but then got mad when we shooed away the pigeons! Who does that?"

"Draff, apparently," Aether replied, more amused than annoyed at the situation that had happened.

Oh, Y/n remembers that commission very well. The shock and annoyance she felt the moment he opened his mouth made her want to throw Draff into the abyss in the game. She was unable to do that before, of course, since Draff was just a fictional two-dimensional character.

But now? Oh, that man better watch his six.

The three went to Katheryne to collect their commission rewards first before going to the Knight's headquarters. They left the receptionist with Paimon hovering around their Mora pouch with wide sparkling eyes. Aether and Y/n shared a look and promptly tucked their respective pouches away from the fairy's hands.

With the fairy now pouting, the three of them went on to climb up the stairs towards the higher levels of the city. The sun had yet reached its peak and the rays were warm against their skins. The chatterings and noises of the citizens around them made the atmosphere seem lively, and as they climbed up higher towards the knight's headquarters, the buzz of the city dimmed.