Chapter 8 - The Four Winds II

They did not encounter any problems along the way towards the heart of the temple. There were traps and more creatures to defeat, yes, but it went quite smoothly.

In the next bit of the temple, Kaeya had frozen the flamethrower that blew fire to block their path. They found a stray chest and when hydro slimes suddenly popped into existence near the chest, Y/n accidentally sent a blast of electro at them from surprise. The two slimes were then forced back where they promptly perished from the flames of the flamethrower.

The knight had laughed while the woman processed what she just did. Once she got over her surprise, she opened the chest to collect the Mora inside, the knight only watched her as she dug through the crystals and artifacts. They continued on once he had frozen the second flamethrower.

"Seems the path ends here," the knight mused, his eyes trailing over to the wind currents on their left. "Let's use the wind currents to fly up."

"Hmm, alright."

He walked and stood in the middle of the currents before opening his glider open. The force of the wind pushed him into the air and he ascended to the top effortlessly.

"Let us make haste, Y/n!" Kaeya called from the top, his voice echoing through the temple.

"Be patient," she yelled back.

With a huff, she went to stand in the middle of the wind current, spreading her arms open to unfurl the glider. The upthrust force from the winds was more powerful than expected and she yelped when her feet suddenly left the ground. She was surprisingly stable as she allowed the wind current to fly her up, and she leaned forward to steer herself onto solid ground. A puff of breath escaped her lips as she landed down on the ground beside the knight.

"I'm so glad that went well," she mumbled as she straightened up her shirt. "If I fell and die, that would be unfortunate."

Kaeya hummed and nodded. "Yes, that would be unfortunate, indeed."

She waited as he activated the mechanism for the doors, and the stone doors opened not long after the mechanism lit up. Inside the next room, a large pyro slime leisurely moved around. Behind it sat a blue stone with the hydro symbol on it, and she remembered that breaking the stone would cause the creatures in the area to get wet.

"We should break the hydro stone to put out the pyro slime's fire," she said lowly to avoid inviting the slime's attention.

"Good idea. That's some keen observation," Kaeya said with an impressed hum. "We should get Jean to give you a title and make you a knight."

He did not give her much time to react since he had quickly sprinted toward the stone, his sword materializing in his hand. The pyro slime perked up when it noticed him and bounced over to him. Kaeya was faster than the slime and he was able to easily break the stone with his sword. There were sizzling sounds as the pyro slime's flames died down. It now looked like coal that had been doused in water, a layer of black crust lining its skin.

She rushed forward towards the slime still bouncing towards Kaeya and released a shot of electro at it. The slime then directed its attention to her, bouncing away from the knight and towards her instead. With the slime distracted, Kaeya took the opportunity to send an icy blast towards it. She was about to stab her sword into the frozen slime, four smaller pyro slimes popped into existence. One happened to appear right in front of her so she quickly moved back before the slime could slam into her face. The water from the hydro stone took effect as soon as the smaller slimes appeared and they slowly sizzled down the fiery layer of their skin.

Kaeya and Y/n shared a look and a nod before both plunging their swords, each infused with their respective elements, at the big pyro slime. The elemental reaction that occurred produced a small blast of air as the slime burst. An electro wave from Y/n followed by Kaeya's glacial waltz quickly took care of the other smaller pyro slimes as they each froze momentarily before bursting into nothing from the superconduct elemental reaction.