Chapter 18 - The Green Fellow

After (pointlessly) scouring the plaza, not a single green cape was spotted. Not even a sliver of it.

Well, Y/n already knew them searching the area was futile since Venti had long wandered somewhere else. But for plot purposes, she allowed Paimon and Aether to look around while she leisurely walked around and enjoyed the scenery. Who else can look at the statue of the Anemo Archon in person? Dip her fingers into the cool water surrounding it, or sit at the benches that were placed strategically around the plaza? Where else can she gaze down to the City of Mondstadt from the top, watching the people live their lives and do their own thing? Where else can she gaze at the majestic windmills and admire them so closely as they spin from the winds?

No other Genshin player could experience what she was experiencing. Sucks to be them.

By the time Aether and Paimon are satisfied enough with their search, Y/n was already perched on the bench, sitting with her legs crossed. She was staring at the huge statue with a contemplative look as they approached.

Aether noticed her look and tilted his head curiously.

"What are you thinking of?" he asked.

"Do you think I'll get arrested by the Church or the Knights if I climb up and sit on the statue's hands?" she asked instead, eyes not once leaving the statue.

"What? Why would you want to do that?" Paimon cried out incredulously.

Y/n just shrugged in response. She can't exactly tell the two that she wanted to know what it was like sitting at her favorite wishing spot in person. They'd question what a wish was and she'd have to explain the gacha system.

Having to explain primogems? Fates? Soft pity? Hard pity? The fifty-fifty?

No, thank you, goodbye.

Instead, she turned toward them and smiled.

"So did you find him?"

"The green guy already disappeared," Paimon said, instantly forgetting their previous conversation topic. "We should use elemental sight to track him down!"

"We?" Aether and Y/n repeated in unison, making the fairy huff.

"Fine! You both use elemental sight to track him down."

Aether nodded.

"It looks like he climbed up from the ledge. Let's follow in their footsteps."

. . . . . . . .

The three of them followed the glowing green footsteps around the city, going up and downstairs before following them back up again.

Y/n huffed. Venti is going to lead them back to the plaza, effectively making them run around in circles. Well, he did give them a good workout.

Just as she expected, Venti was at the plaza. He was standing in front of his statue, fingers carefully strumming and plucking at his lyre as he sang for the crowd that had gathered. Aether, Paimon, and herself stood a bit further away from the crowd but were still close enough that they were able to listen to him sing.

[Y/n was quite excited to hear the voice of Hinata Shoyo sing. Haikyuu is life. Can Kageyama's VA voice someone in Genshin now?]

. . . . . . . .

What is to be sung transpired in days of yore,

When the divine archons still walked the earth.

A cast his curious gaze on the world below

As he parted from the heavens that gave his birth.