CHAPTER FOURTEEN

LIAM POV

I stiffened in his arms the moment he hugged me. It was unexpected but after the initial shock wore off, I allowed myself to relax and enjoy the warm embrace. Hugging Daniel felt nice, really nice. I buried my nose on his chest and smelled the  lemon-ish fragrance clinging to his shirt. His hands which held just below my shoulders were rubbing softly on my back in a comforting manner. 

It was as if he was drilling it to my mind  that he was there with me. I was  aware of my body's reaction to his nearness and so was he. I  reluctantly pulled back, but we still stood close feeling each other's breath. 

His head started to lower, closing the distance between our faces as seconds ticked by. If not for my untimely sneeze, our lips could have touched. 

He chuckled awkwardly stepping back, drawing a nervous smile from me. We kept the conversation flowing for a few more minutes  and he promised to look into my request. 

We agreed he should leave and let me carry on with the cleaning.  

I couldn't stop appreciating  his frame, as I watched him exit. I bit my lip to prevent a gasp, when he stopped by the door,  turned and winked. Talk of butterflies...

Left alone, I began working, a permanent smile etched on my face. 

Lunch couldn't have come 'faster' for Mathew, who was expecting his family. He had already had a talk with the lawyers and they had submitted his case. He was eager to share the news with them despite my objections. 

****

Without Mathew around, I  walked towards the library fast,  keeping my head down. When I opened the door I saw that our usual spot was unoccupied. I smiled at my luck. 

I slid in my seat just in time, and the others began rolling in. 

We began our quiet afternoon with some lame jokes, around  the table, discussing the bullies in shushed voices. Hanging out with the elderly can be fun. I know because I am always in their company. 

Our table is strategically positioned, next to the guards post, which works to our advantage.  There is no inmate who would dare mess with us here, unless they are wishing for solitary confinement. 

I dived in my book and only lifted my head to share in laughter, pass a comment or  when addressed. 

Everyone went strangely quiet, I had to raise my head to see what had caused such an abrupt change. A familiar face of the same asshole, who had thrown me to my death pit my first day here. 

My demeanor changed as I froze on my seat. When he  addressed me and demanded I follow him, I began shaking. Something in my gut screamed danger. 

"Why?" I was wary of him. And since I didn't have any scheduled visit, my paranoia worsened. 

"Get up," he grumbled, grabbing me by the hand. Even as he led me away from the library, I knew something was not right. But I couldn't call on anyone for help. His uniform kinda made him the law... He led me back towards the laundry room. I wondered if I had been assigned extra chores there. 

I got my answer shortly, when I opened the laundry room door and shoved me inside. 

I almost fell on my face but someone broke the fall. "Easy," a gruff voice cooed.  

I raised my head fast and looked at the guy who was holding me, and  swallowed nervously. My eyes darted around the room and saw two others staring at me with devious smiles. 

I wanted to turn back and run, but the odds of succeeding were minimal. The door was already closed and even if I somehow miraculously opened it, outside stood another obstacle; the bastard who keeps handing me over these crooks as a sacrificial token. Where was Daniel when I needed him the most? 

I put on a brave face and waited for anyone to say anything. Hopefully for an explanation. But none did, they all just ogled.

"Why am I here?" I asked impatiently 

"I will give him, for the balls, "  One of the guys taunted and the rest barked with laughter.

I gulped uneasily, 'cause they were clearly having fun at my expense.

I decided not to speak any further.  I could tolerate verbal humiliation, and was  glad  I hadn't been punched yet.  And wanted it to remain that way. 

"Yo Babbz, wanna do the honors?" The same guy who broke my fall addressed one of the other goons. The slender one. 

"I would love to,  boss." The Babbz guy replied bluntly, licking his lips greedily.  

I stepped back hastily trying to put more space between us. But he kept advancing in  a predatory stance. 

"Boss," a different guy called. 

"What?" The said boss shot back rudely.

"Babbz had the last one," he started nervously and Babbz shot him a dirty glare but the guy ignored it. "You promised me some new ass for taking care of our little problem..."  He trailed cautiously.

" Is that so?" 

" Yes, boss. " he bowed respectively and the boss signalled Babbz to step back. I didn't miss the disappointment in his eyes.

"He is yours, Doug." I shivered, and not the good way. "Show him a good time," my stomach churned. The Doug guy wasted no time. He grabbed me carelessly, pinning me by the wall in seconds. Despite my efforts, I couldn't get off his tight grip.

He was going to rape me and the others will probably take a turn after him. I was desperate to get out of the situation and yelled the first thing that came to mind. " I will do anything....." 

Doug continued to peel my clothes off, ignoring my words. 

My struggle had zero effect on him. When he got to my briefs, I panicked and kicked him in the nuts.  He staggered back groaning to his friends' amusement.

"Bitch!" he growled, raising his hand to strike me. 

" I have money." I shouted and his hand halted mid-air.

"What did you say?"

"I have money," I repeated more calmly watching their reactions.

"How much?" 

"How much do i need to buy my protection with your crew?" I countered instead, shocking them with my new found courage as I straightened my back and scowled.