CHAPTER THIRTY

LIAM

Showing up at Daniel's door had seemed like a good plan initially, but I am not so sure anymore.

My uncertainty had only grown as I got closer.  As I knocked on his door, I contemplated turning back. I didn't know, how or even where to begin. He might not take me back which is scary, but maybe he might.

It's a damn shame I can't predict the outcome.

He seemed stunned seeing me on his doorstep when he opened the door. He does look like he has lost weight, I thought recalling something Gianna had said earlier.

"What are you doing here?"

"Can I come in, please," I whispered.

He stepped aside and locked the door after him. I looked around the living room, awkwardly wondering which word to utter first.

"Don't you think we deserve another shot?" I asked

"I am sorry but I can't talk today. I was just about to shower and head out." He blurted.

"Oh, that's fine, I can wait till you get back, or I could visit dad and come back tomorrow." I offered.

He didn't reply instantly. He retrieved a  half glass of water from the table, gulped it down, and took a seat. I took that as my cue to take a sit as well.

"I won't be back till Friday evening." He spoke without looking at me, and missed the various expressions on my face. Regret, hurt, shock and intrigue. Regret, 'cause I should have announced my visit, and would have saved me from the letdown.
Hurt, that we might not get a chance to talk after all.
Shock, because he seemed nonchalant about it all, far from what I was expecting.
Intrigue, just pure curiosity to know where he was going.

I asked...

He explained about his impending journey to see his brother, which was rather surprising became I knew they haven't met in over seven years.

"But you said..."

"I know what told you, Liam." He rubbed his palms against his thighs slowly, and turned to face me.

"I am  confused. But I need to know why my brother lied. He seemed unsure, scared even. I can't let him do this alone. He wouldn't leave me alone if the situation was reversed. Wether we are together or not...

"I'm going with you." Maybe something on my face told him I wasn't about to change my mind, because he just muttered quite okay and went to shower. Left alone, my mind wandered back, hours prior.

"Listen to me, Liam. Danny is a proud man, he doesn't ask for help even when he needs it the most." Gianna had argued.  "Between losing you and his job he is..."

" What do you mean he lost his job?" I interrupted urgently and she gasped.

"You didn't know?" she seemed surprised.  "Shit! Sorry, I thought you knew since he cleared his desk two weeks ago" Gianna sounded really sorry..

Like she has committed some grave mistake by telling me about it. I frowned at no one in particular, wondering what to say. I had lots of questions but I asked the most important one.

"What happened?" I referred to his job loss. "The last time I saw him, all was well,"

"Look, it's not in my place to tell. I have already overstepped by sharing something that I don't have a right to. But know that he is probably at his lowest.
It's your turn to be the anchor, if you love him."

She hang up leaving me distraught.

I couldn't get Daniel on the phone. The only option I was left with was pulling a classic Daniel move.
Hop on a plane and confront it head-on.

****

He emerged thirty minutes later, with his duffel bag. He  grabbed mine from where I  had placed it, on the floor and walked out as I followed behind.

He deposited the bags in the back seat of his Jeep, and opened the passenger door for me. He strapped my safety belt on, before closing the door.

Daniel didn't talk to me until we got to a petrol station, and even then it was to inquire if I needed anything to eat or drink.

"You know we could have flown out," I didn't understand why he preferred to drive for such a long distance.

"Yeah, but I didn't." He snapped. "You knew that when you offered your company,  not that I need it."

I could have easily snapped back, but that would have just ended with us fighting. I didn't want that.

I took out my earpods planning to listen to music for the rest of the journey. He spoke before I could wear them.

"Can't you just make up your damn mind?" His words were not uttered in anger,  just curiosity. He pulled back on the road.

"About what?"

"Everything." He grumbled

"Care to explain more, warden?" I asked in a teasing tone. He used to love it when I called him my warden, but  the way his features contorted, it wasn't the case anymore.

"When I was yours you snubbed and pushed me away as much as you could. And yet here you are, acting as you want us back so bad. Why?" His gaze was on the road but even then I could see confusion written all over his face.

"I love you," I stated simply because it was the truth.

"Does this love make it okay to push me away, and then turn around and chase me?" He wanted to pick a fight. It was obvious. Because he was scared of meeting his brother again.

"Pull over," I demanded. And he did. By the next exit we came across. "Do you still love me?"
His glare melted and what was left on his face was helplessness.

"I wish I didn't," he answered.

"I understand," I exhaled heavily and turned my face forward.
"I am sorry, I was a shitty lover." I meant every word.

"You are not so bad," he countered. He reached out for my hand, caressed it briefly, kissed it and placed it back on my lap. "Let's deal with Damien first, and then we will talk."

"Does that mean I will get another chance?"

He smiled. A honest beautiful smile.

Sarcasticloner099